Hot Rod Forum banner

327 wont start after i take it around the block

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  67MercCat 
#1 ·
I got stuck twice trying to test it out on the road. I set the timing, set the carb and starts uo and runs strong. Ill have it running for 30 mins no problem. As soon as i take around the lock it starts to act like its out of timing and bogs out. Would this because by
1. improper float in carb?
2. Points not set?
3. Timing still not right

#4 ·
I knew I was going to have this problem using this stupid points distributor, I can't stand em. But it's the one from the old engine and it ran fine. Ifigure that it wouldn't run fine in the first place with a points problem. This seems more fuel related. He said he got the Carter AFB carb rebuilt and I didn't chec kthe floats. I'll try that first and see if it makes any difference. I turn the A/F screws and there is little to no reaction from the engine, so I found that strange.

#5 ·
So I got the timing light out and set he timing at 4 degrees BTDC ( I think) but it hard to tell what I'm idling because I have no tach, so the timing hasn't been really set properly. It's an SS so they'res a tach on the dash but it doesn't read, I'm gonna hook it up and see if I can get a good RPM reading from it if it works. then I can go thru the process of elimination.

Do you think that the fuel filter is clogged? I noticed that the clear filter in the front sometimes is full and then when I rev it up it empties out quickly without filling up as fast, do you think the lines are clogged a bit?

#6 ·
I think your fuel pump has crapped out. Pull the fuel line off the carb, pull the coil wire out of the socket, have someone crank it over and watch the fuel pump into a big glass jar. THe jar should fill up rapidly if the pump is good.
Set your timing at 12 degrees when you get it running and then reset the dwell on the points in the distributor.
When you set your timing did you plug the vacuum advance to the distributor?

#7 ·
Last night I took the horn off the carb and adjusted the floats. 7/16 from gasket to the float and it has a 1 1/4 drop. The float bowls were almost empty and one was way out of adjustment. So that's one thing down, I'm going to check the fuel pump today. I noticed they're is no filter from the tank to the pump, but one from the pump to the carb and it was full of crap, so I'm thinking that the pump has a load a junk in it. I'll try and blow the crap out to see if that will help.

As far as timing, I got it going so thats been knocked down too

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.