Hot Rod Forum banner

8K views 51 replies 9 participants last post by  ap72 
#1 ·
I just dynoed my 327 and came out with 300 rwhp and 360 ftlbs with 6 pounds of boost through a weiand 177. The motor is bored 30 over 9-1 compression ported double hump 64 cc heads, comp 292 h cam and ram horm manifolds. My question is why does the 300 seem low for this motor.

#2 ·
blower

What RPM did your peak HP come in at? Keep in mind that you'll lose 20-30% of you power in the drivetrain. Which means your engine with the blower is producing closer to 400 HP at the crank. Which isn't really too bad. Those smaller blowers aren't known for making any substantial hp gains. I think they're fun and look cool as heck, but for the money just dont provide enough bang for the buck. Have you ever been to the drag strip? If you go, take a walk through the pits and check out some of the cars...you wont find many with blowers on them. I've been racing for years and have only seen a handful of cars with them. But they certainly look and sound cool. I wouldn't be too disappointed with 300 hp out the back end of the car. Maybe a little fine tuning and larger jets could improve those numbers

#4 ·
gears do not effect the horse power at all. The exhaust is the most important part to make power.The cam is actually a little small.May want to change to a blower friendly cam,1 3/4 inch primary headers and 3 inch or bigger mandrel bent exhaust.That should net 60 plus horses

#6 ·
Back in the day there was a 327/300 but that was at the flywheel. The engine needs some help breathing. A set of 1 5/8 full length headers and a free flowing 2 1/2 dual exhaust would help. Your compression is too low for that camshaft also. That camshaft needs 11.5:1 compression and a 200ccc set of heads. Your heads would be lucky to be 165cc. I don't see how you got 300 hp with the parts you rebuilt with.

#7 ·
heads

thats true...your engine needs to breathe and a good set of headers would net you the best gain for your money. But investing in a good flowing set of heads will really boost your hp and torque. You can do the headers without changing the heads...but you cant change the heads without changing the headers. All the flow in the world will do you no good if you cant move it through the exhaust

This post has been deleted
#27 ·
tell me what matters more. A dyno number you can brag about and/or get a warm fuzzy feeling about,.... or a fast truck?

You could just pay me the dyno test $$$'s and I'd ask my magic squirrel and he'd tell us all. And I'd give my magic squirrel a peanut. and we would not need any more dynos or real dyno testing.

You have made a good start but you have a bit of a testing and learning curve and you will not solve all the issues in 1 day.

This is R O C K Y My Magic Squirrel. Way more flattering than any Dyno....

Youre crazy man. I can dig.

#25 ·
DYNOS are tools!

you can take the dyno numbers other than just peak power numbers,like,,,SFC and compare that to your A/F numbers,then compare where your peak torque occurs,RPM wise and peak RPM of the top of the horse power curve.
See if the RPM levels match what you want for a finished product?
If your torque figure is in the wrong proportion to your horse power figure find out why,,,,camshaft has already been addressed,,,,
decide if 1 3/4 tube primary headers are in fact better than 1 5/8 headers for your application?

dont rant about the top power figures until the proper tuning is finished

#29 ·
So finally did the longtube headers, head swap and 1.6 roller rockers and a summit k1103 cam still only made 300 rwhp I understand a little less with the smaller cam but with headers and heads still stayed the same. Am I missing something here. I checked the carb it is a 750 not a 650 which I thought it was.

#39 · (Edited)
Actually even a bigger step backwards.

old cam 244º@ .050 int/ex .501 lift,,106ICL 110 lsa
new cam 214/224 @.050" .444/.466 lift,,112 LSA

OP, F' bird gave you some good advice there with the cam, head swap, header size and explained clearly the reasons for them all. You went out got the wrong cam, wrong cc heads and wrong headers???

Your DCR is going to be up even more now that little cam, limiting the amount of boost ya can utilise with pump gas???

Why you ask advice , get advice from one of the sharpest tuners on the forum, and then ???. ..

Duke

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.