Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. My first post here, I think.

I'm putting a '33 Chevy pick up body on a '93 S-10 frame and am having some conceptual difficulties with situating the front fenders over the upper A-arms. I want to run the hood, so I don't want to hack up the bottom flanges of the fenders for clearance. For anyone else who has done a similar project, how did you manage the fit? Can you share some photo's of what you did?

Also, I was hoping to use the original S-10 Saginaw steering box but it looks like I may have to go to a rack so the box doesn't stick out in front. Any thought's on that.

I'm not new to building frame up cars but have never attempted this kind of build before. BTW, I'm not using the original frame because the front horns are bent. And I want a more comfortable ride.

Thanks.

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
I have a friend ( Burtucky Customs) that has done a 46 Chevy PU and a 30 Ford sedan on a S=10 chassis.

Both unconventional and very drivable rat-rods. But there is no way to use Ford/Chevy fenders on the front..

The 46 is driven daily stock 4-cyl and is a regular at the Wed evening cruise in this little village I live in.

·
Registered
17,612 Posts
Hi all. My first post here, I think.

I'm putting a '33 Chevy pick up body on a '93 S-10 frame and am having some conceptual difficulties with situating the front fenders over the upper A-arms. I want to run the hood, so I don't want to hack up the bottom flanges of the fenders for clearance. For anyone else who has done a similar project, how did you manage the fit? Can you share some photo's of what you did?

Also, I was hoping to use the original S-10 Saginaw steering box but it looks like I may have to go to a rack so the box doesn't stick out in front. Any thought's on that.

I'm not new to building frame up cars but have never attempted this kind of build before. BTW, I'm not using the original frame because the front horns are bent. And I want a more comfortable ride.

Thanks.
If you've done this sort of thing before, then you should be aware that what you see is what you get. If the fenders need trimmed, then the fenders need trimmed. If the steering box needs to stick out in front, then the steering box needs to stick out in front. If you try to fab up a R&P in a chassis that had a conventional box, you're gonna need some in-depth education. Been there, done that, many times.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I have a friend ( Burtucky Customs) that has done a 46 Chevy PU and a 30 Ford sedan on a S=10 chassis. Both unconventional and very drivable rat-rods. But there is no way to use Ford/Chevy fenders on the front.. The 46 is driven daily stock 4-cyl and is a regular at the Wed evening cruise in this little village I live in.
Thanks for the info. I've seen photos of an early '30s Chevy PU that was supposed to be on a 4 x 4 S-10 frame and you can't tell by looking at it. At least in the photos. That's why I'm wondering what I'm missing.

If you've done this sort of thing before, then you should be aware that what you see is what you get. If the fenders need trimmed, then the fenders need trimmed. If the steering box needs to stick out in front, then the steering box needs to stick out in front. If you try to fab up a R&P in a chassis that had a conventional box, you're gonna need some in-depth education. Been there, done that, many times.
What I've done before is build circle track cars from the frame up and worked on plenty of cars with matching bodies and frames. The new thing is different body and frame that isn't a race car. :)

I'd think on the R & P the critical thing is getting the bump steer right. I've done some of that so I'm not too worried about it.

I'm not interested in building a rat rod, per se, but rather a nice, dependable daily driver, so I want it to be presentable. I'm not a bling kinda' guy but I like things to fit well and be functional.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts