Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I keep finding posts like mine, but no one seems to have answers. I have a 33 chevy standard rat project and I really want to use the original front axle. The problem I have is that apparently they are lightweight spindles so I cannot use the 50s truck swap. I will have to swap my spindles. I do not care disc or drum. a decade ago I found a guy who had a parts list for sale that apparently used off the shelf stuff that fit close. I have had like 4 computers in that time so I have no idea where it is and I have not been able to find it again.

Anyway, if anyone out there has done this swap, or even heard of someone who has, please let me know. I believe I have everything else figured out, if I could just get this axle to work.

Thanks everyone,
Bob

·
Registered
432 Posts
I think you need to start a the hub, that fits a wheel you want to use, find a spindle that fits that hub. Measure a kingpin and spindle, then have the axle adapted to the spindle/pin/thrust bearing set.
Many early auto/light truck kingpins were 3/4 to 1" diameter.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Have you talked to ECI?

The online catalog shows no kit for the light duty spindle, but says "call for details"
(860) 872-7046

I'm using their kit on a '33 Pontiac; very happy with the product and their service.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
you need to Contact sid's axles. he has what you need. also search on the HAMB forum. there is a lot of info there. the key thing about swapping spindles is the king pin angle and king pin .. years ago I swapped to use olds spindles and brakes on all 4 corners of my roadster.. I had a engine machine shop use their con rod reamer resize the new bronze bushings i installed
Chevy Dropped Axles | Dropped Axles

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.