Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
1972 Q code 351C
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3310-4 (750 single pump dual feed) that I bought and installed 20 years ago. The car sat unused for about 5 years so I decided to rebuild the carb. I got the kit from Holley and thought I did everything right but when it cranks over I get a fountain of fuel coming out the rear tube (vent tube maybe?) that has an angled face. Does anyone know if I missed a step or missed an o ring or something?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
D

·
More for Less Racer
19,368 Posts
Simple Needle and seat problem, could have a couple causes.

Adjusted wrong(too high)
Float stuck down.
Torn o-ring around needle and seat assembly.
Piece of dirt trapped between the needle tip and the seat.

Pull the rear bowl and check out all those things...make sure float swings freely on it's pivot pin and the side of the float arm doesn't brush the edge of the pivot pin cavity.

That's pretty much it.:thumbup:

·
1972 Q code 351C
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'll double check everything and post an update. Everything had been freshly cleaned and I had no issues putting in the needle and seat so I would bet the float is stuck. Appreciate the help
D

·
1972 Q code 351C
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Needle/seat adjustment worked

Thanks for the help, it took a couple of tries but it worked. One more question, I tuned it based on the Holley videos (float adj and air/gas mix) but it seems to load up when i give it gas from idle. I checked the timing and it's fine. Double checked all the carb adjust, and they are good. One it gets past the hiccup it roars but if I were trying to take off from the line, it would bog and then grab. Any ideas on what the issue might be?

Thanks
D

·
More for Less Racer
19,368 Posts
More often than not this is actually a lean stumble and not a rich bog.

Does the hesitation come just as soon as the throttle is moved off idle??

Does it almost seem to "cough", then roar when the throttle is jumped hard from a idle??.

If true, check the accelerator pump linkage, there should be no gaps at idle and the pump noxxle should have a squirt the instant the throttle is moved.

What color pump cam does it have?
What number pump nozzle(shooter, squirter)?

What is you initial and total timing figure?? Too low initial timing can also cause a stumble.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts