Hot Rod Forum banner

41 - 60 of 224 Posts

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
baddbob said:
I sure like the simple design of those three legged stands in the pics.
Yeah, real hi tech. Some bent rebar, but they work pretty well. :) Got everything painted today, spent all day in the booth. Only had one uh oh when the air hose came in contact with one of the running boards that had just been shot with base. After it flashed I tried to wet sand it and apply a little more base hoping it would hide it. It did not, so I didn't clear that running board. Will do some work on it at home then re-shoot the base then clear. I got three good heavy coats of clear on everything. I think I am going to try BarryK's Perfect Paint Job routine on the exterior pieces. It will probably require four total gallons of clear, hey, it's only money. too far along to start getting cheap now. I will return to the paint booth tomorrow afternoon to retrieve everything and I will post some pics then.

Vince

·
Registered
194 Posts
Thank you very much for the recipe. It already said $$$$ to me just having the 'PPG' label on there, the 'K' must really be bad!! Sure is a pretty color, a bit darker than HOK's Passion Pearl which I also like.

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
barthmonster said:
Thank you very much for the recipe. It already said $$$$ to me just having the 'PPG' label on there, the 'K' must really be bad!! Sure is a pretty color, a bit darker than HOK's Passion Pearl which I also like.
It's actually a 2005 Chrysler color.

I did take a few pictures as I was getting ready to call it quits for the evening. This shot is of my running boards. The one near has three coats of clear the far one has no clear as it is the one I need to correct a bobo on the base coat.

Vince

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Out in the sun

Fender in direct sunlight, (dang 43430) three coats of DBC base and three coats of DC2002 clear. I hate to wet sand it, but if I am to follow BarryK's perfect paint job it has to be done. First though I need to visit the PPG store :pain: again.

Vince

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
She's lookin really good!!! It sounds like you're planning on sanding now and applying a couple flow coats? The parts look awesome IMO. :thumbup:

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
baddbob said:
She's lookin really good!!! It sounds like you're planning on sanding now and applying a couple flow coats? The parts look awesome IMO. :thumbup:
Thanks Bob, yes that is the plan. Allow a few days or so for the clear to cure real good then wet sand, let it sit for a week then apply three more coats of clear. Hope I have the stamina for it. The way it's looking now I want to go ahead and put the car together :) .

Vince

·
KING OF BONDO
809 Posts
Vince it looks killer to say the least.. and a good thread to show people that you dont have to buy the most expensive equipment to lay down good paint jobs.. keep posting.. love those pics

·
Registered
361 Posts
BondoKing said:
Vince it looks killer to say the least.. and a good thread to show people that you dont have to buy the most expensive equipment to lay down good paint jobs.. keep posting.. love those pics
I have been trying to say this for a long time that you dont need all those high dollor guns to shoot a great paint job. But all i get back is someone who wants to argue the point. I painted my 1917 Model T with a cheep Napa gun, and i still use it today. And i have won my share of trophies with my T, and the paint still looks as good today as when i laid it on. Really like your work, and love the color. Keep up the good work and you will have a car to be proud of.

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #58 (Edited)
Parts Storage

Getting a lot of pieces painted and I no longer want them in the garage to be exposed to sanding dust and hangar rash. So I have been using one of our spare bedrooms for car parts storage. We have two spare bedrooms since the kids have left.

Vince

41 - 60 of 224 Posts