Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I want to build a Stroker 302 Windsor, 347. What I would like to know is,
1) what mods need to be done to the block to get the crank in if any?
2) Is there a problem - long term with the 5.4 rod with regards to the piston oil ring clearance? (have read short term motor life)
3) What pistons do I chose eg, flat tops or domed?
4) What heads should I use, is there a ford STD head that will work well or am I up for a set of after market ????

What more info? Well we currently have a running standard 302 in a XY falcon. We wish to freshen up the motor and liven it up a little. A 347 stroker sounds like fun. It needs to end up as a head turning daily driver. Meaning a little loopy on the cam with a deep exhaust note but happy to drive in the Friday traffic. It will be backed by a C4 which will need a higher stall then standard and a 8.8 inch diff that will require and ratio change.

Please note this will be a daily driver, I what a motor the wife is happy to drive, will start easy, idle happy (but loopy), doesn't need to rev to the heavens to make power. I hope to make 350 to 400HP, i think this is realistic and achievable with out going silly.

Any combo's people are running now would be helpful. One move thing it needs to run on pump gas.
Thanks
PINKO351

·
Registered
94 Posts
Go to the AFR Heads site and read the articles on 302 builds. Check them all out, the info will answer just about any question you might have. Including a mild 302 with 410 HP on pump gas!
You will find onfo on the 331 and 347 builds too.
Scat and Eagle are two that would have details if any mods are needed for what you are building.

·
Registered
14 Posts
347 Stroker

As far as putting the crank in you'll have to notch the bottom of the block cylinders for the 3.40" stroke crank. As far as the wristpin intersecting the oil ring DSS racing has rod/piston combo that is a slightly shorter rod to pull the pin out of the oil ring. It's like a 5.315" rod and it supposed to have excellent performance. You're traditional 347cid kits make the piston "dig" into the bottom of the cylinder wall on the upstroke. 331cid kits is what I've run and so do alot of racers. You have killer RPM capability and it's really stable in every operating aspect. Get flat top pistons. you'll still end up at about 9.75 - 10.5:1 depending on the kit. Other than that your cam specs should stay with a duration @ .050 of 225-240 and a lift of somewhere around .510-.550" lift with a LSA of 110-114. Hope this is of some help.

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
Anything small block Ford you are going to need aftermarket heads.
No Ford factory casting is even close and most of their "performance" heads are NOT as good as the aftermarket. My choice is the new AFR.

Based on the experience of persons I know and those I have talked with, and making the generalization from talking to major engine building people,

the consensus seems to me to be that they personally prefer the 327/331 engines for reliability and longevity.

The long rod 342/347 puts the oil ring into the pin as you know, and that has been a serious problem.

I have an acquaintance that received a crate engine from a major big name Ford builder, and after 1 hour, out it came, and back it went. After the second one oiled-out in a few hours, a short rod 347 went in.

After 5000 miles, Now he wishes he had a 331.

I have not talked to anyone that has more than 5000 miles on a 347 and likes it. Probably lots of them out there that do, I just haven't found one personally.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks

Thanks all for or help I have gone ahead and ordered the kit, looking forward to building it up.

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
Hope you enjoy the power of your 347.

Drop back next winter and tell us what you think of it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts