Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 64 or so chevy 348 for 500.00 and am going to be pulling the heads off a stuck 409 tomorrow. My machine shop was looking for a 348 for a customer and asked if i wanted to sell mine. the price hasn't been discussed yet and if the 409 is stuck on the bottom end, i may pick that up for a stroker i plan to make. what is a 348 worth that is free and has after-market pistons in it? i know it came with 7.75:1 comp. but the new pistons look like any thing but low compression. they are marked as being .040 over and are almost 0 deck. the only thing i found wrong with the engine is that 2 valves were stuck closed. other than that it looks like a low mileage engine the lifters dont look cratered at all, unlike every sbc Ive ever torn down. the markings on the pistons are as follows: cam-218
8038 .040 any ideas?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I dont know anymore what the 348 might be worth, Ive been away from the "W" engines for some time now. But, if its a 348, the newest it would be is 1961....maybe into 62 if its a truck 348.
Im not sure how familier you are with these engines, but the cumbustion chamber is in the block, not the heads, so you cant really just visualy see where zero deck is. John

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea i know, what i meant by that was that the half of piston that creates the quench is about 5-10 thousandths below deck height.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Barter..

Doc here :pimp:

If you Decide to go with the 409...

Why not offer a "Barter" Deal with the machinist For Building the 409 up?

You may have to pickup some of the parts depending on what you want...But all in all, Not a bad Thing...

Doc :pimp:

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if i picked up the 409 i would pull the rotating assembly out (lots of rust in the oil.) and put in a 4.00 stroke crank and the matching pistons from A Bruneau performance enterprises, they have ross pistons for a 4 in stroke for like 650.00. the figures i get off desktop dyno make it look like a low end torque monster.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Man, i would give almost everything i have for that 409....which isn't much, but. I would love to say i have a 409, monster motors.

·
Old Guys Rule!...EVERYTHING!
469 Posts
Hmmm ...As I remember the valve trains on these 348 & 409 were a major "PAIN"! I'd suggest to stick with the "newer" stuff. Good Luck ...either way! ...Mark

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
nah, valve trains not a problem at all, not anymore than any other Chevy.
Use to brkt race a 409 in a 61 Bel Air...ran 11.70s, wasnt cheap. for the money we had in that 409 we couldve had a 454 that would run easy low 11s high 10s.
However, the 409 has a cool factor all its own, by far not the best race or performance engine, but itll do the job, & is one of the neatest looking engines ever

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
has any one else put a bbc crank in to a w series? if so what needs to be changed? i figure id have to clearance the block for the stroke, is the over all length the same between the two? Im hoping the stock bore will clean up, if not i guess i can sleeve the 2 rusty cyls. they dont seem pitted though. i guess sleeving them is not a fun task with the angle of the deck. oh well not my job, another question. if i hog out the intake valve to a 2.19 like the high perf heads and port them using a flow bench etc. will they flow as nice as a set of factory high perfs? the exh valves are only .01 different. not much point in redoing those except to put hard seats in. i figure at least. thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts