Hot Rod Forum banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Born 13th Generation U.S.A.
456 Posts
While your statement is true I have enjoyed the opportunity to serve in the armed forces and incurred some injuries in Vietnam which left me with one good arm and leg therefore I have to find alternative means to do most things.

Try this, first spend 14.5 years in a wheelchair, then tie you left arm behind your back and bind your left leg to your thigh at knee level, then at 68 years old change out a tranny, engine or just wash and wax you car. Asshat!
First of all let me (if I could) shake your hand (no pun intended) in serving in the Military. Sorry to here for your loss of limbs, and I applaud you for doing what some people would find hard to do or impossible. Why all the hostility dude? I can understand your limitations and that you can move past them to get what needs done for you but why do you use your Injuries to make a point. Wow that was coming right out of Left field "Asshat"

·
456 Posts
I was call al kind of names for putting a backup camera in my Camaro.
I was actually told I shouldn't be driving if I need a camera to back up.
my reason for having the camera, I have 2 ruptured disks
in my neck and have limited movement
some people just don't realize how lucky they are
For what its worth a camera doesn't slam on the brakes for you while backing up, you have to do that yourself. I get it about the Ruptured Disks, I have had two Back Surgeries almost back to back and I also have Blown Out Disks still so I do and Can feel your pain. The point was I don't want some Computer/sensor/E wire making my Decisions for me I can do that myself.

·
456 Posts
For whom this Concerns. I am Sorry for my post that I guess turned into a Pissing Contest here. It wasn't intended to turn out the way it did.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Don't get offended by my .02 cents

Hot Rodding is Hot Rodding.
Not offended at all. To each his own.

Some people are content with flat head and single barrel carb with 4 wheel drum brakes. I guess those are the "real" hot rodders :rolleyes:

I way I see it, this is a low buck upgrade that I did that eliminated hydraulic system and gain little bit of power and clean engine bay. I though that's what they did back in the day. Innovate.:D

Waid

·
456 Posts
Not offended at all. To each his own.

Some people are content with flat head and single barrel carb with 4 wheel drum brakes. I guess those are the "real" hot rodders :rolleyes:

I way I see it, this is a low buck upgrade that I did that eliminated hydraulic system and gain little bit of power and clean engine bay. I though that's what they did back in the day. Innovate.:D

Waid
Innovation is the mother if invention

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
RE: EPS size

Posted earlier requesting some measurements of a typical EPS, haven't gotten an answer yet so ran some rough measurements of the area I have to work with. Roughly 7 5/8" wide by 8" long. Another problem that I foresee is the heat from the engine and the headers. Anybody have an idea of how much heat they can withstand? You can see the burnt paint from when I had the timing waaay retarded. lol

Attachments

·
Registered
951 Posts
You must put the EPS unit inside the cab to avoid engine heat. This is true with all EPS units, aftermarket or adapted from a production car. This involves shortening and adapting to the steering column. This is not for the average wrencher. It involves top quality machining and welding. It also requires good solid mounts to withstand the output torque of unit. In max assist, the output torque is about 8-10 times the input torque. See site below for an example that has some of the work already done at substantial cost.
Improved Electra-Steer Ididit Steering Column Kit

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
Electrical Diagrams
On the 2008 Versa EPS control module which pin is the one that you run ignition power to? My module has two large connectors for battery and motor and a multi-pin connector with 16 small pins. I didn't get the wire harness with it so I need a pin count to know which pin is the correct one to run key power to.
I can't find a wiring diagram of these connection either, which would help.

I found it! It's marked in the pic of the diagram you posted. Thanks a lot!

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
2007-2009 Nissan Versa wiring

Using the 2007-2009 Nissan Versa EPS but didn't get any wiring or connectors with it (ebay). I have your 2008 Nissan Versa wiring jpg but not sure which pins are the correct ones for the torque sensor wires on the the EPS module pins. The torque sensor has wires (red, yellow, black and white) but they terminated at the column mount.I have included a pic of my EPS module if you'd be so nice as to head me in the right direction.
Also, the motor wires were connected to the left most pins and I'm not sure if this correct.
Been trying to find a 07-09 versa in local salvage yard to get connectors and wiring from but no luck yet. Not really sure what size the pins in module are either. I think .061/1.2mm?
Thanks for all your help.
Steve

Attachments

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Your wires are red, green, tan and purple. Do you know which of your colors are ground? Figuring that red is power. I wonder how those colors would correspond to my red, yellow, black, and white?
Worked on an Isuzu once, wires changed colors at ever connection throughout the car. Was a real joy to find a short/open in it.

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Your wires are red, green, tan and purple. Do you know which of your colors are ground? Figuring that red is power. I wonder how those colors would correspond to my red, yellow, black, and white?
Worked on an Isuzu once, wires changed colors at ever connection throughout the car. Was a real joy to find a short/open in it.
Buddy at salvage yard called today. He got a 2008 versa in so I went and got the whole steering column. Included is a pic of what I was asking about. Notice how the wire colors change from one side of the connector to the other. Don't know why Japanese do this but I've seen it a lot over the years.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
Completed the EPS install on my straight axle 41 Willys. It's a pure pleasure to drive now, especially in slow tight turns. It is a great help to a handicapped person. Handles great on the roads and at the track. Used one out of a 2008 Nissan Versa. Having a brother that is a gunsmith with lathes and milling machines was a big help.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I was looking from some picture of the finished install!

It would be great if you can take some and post it!

·
Gotta love a turbo!
2,716 Posts
Just out of curiosity, can you hear it when it's working?

Russ

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
No. The only sound I hear, if the car is not running, is a click about 10 seconds after I turn the key on. The car is way to loud to hear anything when it's running. lol I have turned the wheel with the car not running and heard nothing.

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
8,545 Posts
This would be something I've considered adapting my my race car. Do you know how much it weighs?

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
I have no idea of weight. I can say it's not much at all. My guess would be 5-10 lbs. I'm not concerned with weight at my age.Don't even have a bathroom scale. lol

21 - 40 of 52 Posts