Hot Rod Forum banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
Do you have any issues with steering return ability. Meaning when you come out of a turn, does the steering wheel goes back to center ?

Waid
No, it doesn't return. Doesn't really bother me though. Haven't tried it yet but maybe a switch to turn it on and off? I only have one good arm so I like to have control of a car. lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
I fixed toyota eps to my classic mini, only used 3 wiers power, ground and ignition (pin like prius one ) but it have many wiers even its working with 3 wires its not comming back to the center position when release hands what can be the problem. icant identify what is the ecu model,but its look like prius or corlla or yaris

·
Registered
185 Posts
I like the Idea of adding E.P.S. .
My question is, even though the O.E.M.S put in a fail safe "mode".
They are not designed to be driven at length in that fail safe mode.
They EXPECT the vehicle owner to get it looked at and repaired, not drive it thousands of miles like that.
I would want to know more about the effects of the unit always in fail safe mode before I trusted it not to short out/ fail and add turning force when not asked for by drivers input. Putting you in a ditch or worse.
Remember you were already in the units fail safe mode.
Cool idea if there is no added risk from running the unit in the o.e.m.s back up (fail safe) mode all the time.

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
I was call al kind of names for putting a backup camera in my Camaro.
I was actually told I shouldn't be driving if I need a camera to back up.
my reason for having the camera, I have 2 ruptured disks
in my neck and have limited movement
some people just don't realize how lucky they are
Even batman needs a backup camera.

Adding electronic assist to improve a mechanical item or adding convenience just makes life easier.

Having a dash full of mechanical gauges like in a jeep wrangler YJ(87-95) could be replaced by a single tablet with alerts that brings a issue right into your field of view.

Using a Bluetooth connectior(even with a AM radio)instead of a book of cd's or a paper map to hear directions,route specific traffic alerts, and what you want to hear when you want to hear it keeps your attention on the road.

Now there are safety items I do disable like airbags, automatic braking (crash avoidence), and ABS to drive in a situation where those items become a issue. But if you ever needed one of these systems the benefits become apparent quickly.

EPS (GM) is easily modified and adjusted while giving you that mechanical connection. We could easily run hydraulic or electronic steer by wire for say 4 wheel steering for better maneuverability and eliminate that mechanical shaft, box, and linkage with safety items in place to allow for that.

We could have thrown out hydraulic brakes(the master cylinder and majority of lines) years ago replacing them with electric. There would be issues up front. But the items to make it happen are there.

Magnetic dampening is a wonderful thing. Fully adjustable and quicker reacting. But people still feel that the old system is better.

People feel they need that mechanical connection. But really at this point stuff is advanced enough they really do not.

I have kept a 04 ion in my garage for over a year with a broken transmission input shaft just for the EPS.
Finding I have other options is nice and thankyou for the great write up.

But being able to adjust that as needed is still a feature I would like to keep. If someone makes a adjustable brain for these other brands then they may become a cheaper, better, or just more available system making them the new system to use.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Adding to the discussion, I installed an EPS unit from an '05 Saturn Vue in my '54 Ford Customline using the 'Bruno' controller. Fairly easy install but no road tests yet 'cause the car is still under construction.
EPAS INSTALL | The H.A.M.B. (jalopyjournal.com)

Looks good, nice and clean install.
I would be willing to bet it won't be long before the aftermarket start offering kits.
I don't think I could use one because the lack of room under the dash but, cool to see others get to use them.

·
Registered
951 Posts
The after market does make an EPS. Unisteer. Big Bucks. Click below.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know this is an older thread but hoping to find an answer here to a question I have about the Prius EPS Module. Would anyone know if the 2011 Module has the Fail-Safe mode? Asking because I did an EPS conversion on a tractor I own using a 2008 setup and it works perfectly. But I was needing a connector that did not come with the module, so I was able to obtain the missing connector by buying a 2011 module cheap off eBay that had the missing connector. Now I'm wondering if the 2001 module might work as a backup. Everything I can find including your posts say use 2004-2009. I will say the module itself looks identical with the exception on the mounting legs and the two small connectors (one for the switched power and one for the sensors) are slightly different but have the same number of wires and same wire color coding.
Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
552 Posts
There are more details on the '54 Ford swap at killbillet.com but you will have to become a member (free) to access it.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts