Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1957 chevy P/U with a 350 / 671 blower.I ran the truck without a hood with no problem - temps no higher than 190.After I put the hood on, temps over 210 , and spewing coolant out the overflow.If I am moving, temps will stabilize,but, as soon as I stop and idle the temps skyrocket.This leads me to think I have a fan issue.The fan is an electric pusher-not sure the cfm,but i can feel air flow through the rad.I will probably change the thermostat,and go to higher pressure rad cap...but not sure what else to do...any help would be appreciated..thanks

Randy

·
Registered
370 Posts
Pusher fans block air flow at speed. If possible a puller is the way to go. Might need to install a shroud with additional vents that open at freeway speeds. Where are you pulling you temp info from, heads or intake? Makes a difference of about 10-20 degrees.

Keith

·
boatbob2
1,385 Posts
Overheating......

For Starters,make up a fiberglass AIR DAM,for under the front of car..like the Air Dams that Chevy put on the Camaros,when my electric fan took a dump,i was 120 miles from home,midnite,kept driving,never overheated,that air dam saved my butt..... :D

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
6,391 Posts
Loose the pusher fan. Your issue is typical of not enough fan. When you are going down the road the fan doesnt matter as natural air flow takes over. It would appear your radiator is large enough because it works fine going down the road when there is ample air flow.
Putting the hood on probably added some resistance to the pusher fans ability to push air through the radiator. A puller fan or a stock type 6 blade with a shroud would be your best bet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.