Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of rebuilding a 350 to go into my 79 Malibu. However, since im a bit new to the game, im not sure what i should do with my heads and pistons.....my block has been bored over 30. What im wondering is what type of heads and pistons should i spring for considering this is going to be a daily driver and i would like to run 89 or 92 octane. I dont want to make this thing the baddest malibu around just to blow my motor in a month. should i keep my 1.94's or go to a 2.02? should i go flat top of dome pistons?

·
Registered
326 Posts
I just went thru all this with my 350 buld up, for pump gas stay under 9.5 static C/R, if you go with a dome like a Speed Prom .125 dome, you have to keep it down in the bore like say .025 deck height to get 9.3:1 with a 76cc chamber that a stock head has. If you go with vortec head's with 64cc chamber's, you could go with a flat top or a slite dish piston, but keep in mind that if you go with a vortec head you have to go with an intake that will fit on it because they changed the bolt pattern, the old stile wont work and the vortec head is limitted on lift unless you have them worked on, And from what i've read if you keep the @50 dur under .220 you will be fine as a daily driver.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
He's right.
Stick with around 64cc heads and flat top pistons. If your not wanting pure brutal power then stay with stock valves.
The vortecs are good heads as well. Keep the cam to a normal(470 or so) range and you will be good. HG

·
Registered
179 Posts
hey man if your lookin for some pistons i have some speed pro .040 over flat top with 4 valve relief for a 350 that i will let go pretty cheap. they are brand new just let know

·
http://teamrfc.gospelcom.net
1,742 Posts
I think your best bet would be a set of Vortec heads. You can get a set of them assembled with the machine work for bigger sprigs and the bigger springs for $635. I had a car with a 355 with the vortec heads and a comp XE268H cam and it ran very well and had really good street manners.

Adam

1 - 5 of 5 Posts