Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am building an engine for my Jeep CJ-5 that i am going to use in sand drag racing and also a bit on the street.
The Jeep is on 36" Mudders and has a TH-350 Transmission that has shift kit and 2800 stall converter. It has a Dana 20 transfer case
The axles has 4.10 gears and Detroit locker in the rear.

It is a 350 Chevy that is bored .030" It is a 2 bolt block that has ARP studs in the main and ARP bolts in everything else, that includes these following parts.
Pro forged pistons (dome top) Piston rings are set for little NOS abuse. (150-200 HP)
Scat I-Beam 6" forged rods with ARP bolts.
Steel crankshaft.
Cloyes double roller timing chain.
GM 3932-441 Heads W. 1.94"/1.5" valves, the heads are ported. (10.5:1 Compression ratio with these heads)
Edelbrock Torker Aluminum intake (cleaned up)
Holley 750 HP Carburetor.
1.5/8" Long tube headers.
Roller Rocker arms 1.5 ratio.
MSD Pro Billet Distriutor.

I am confused what camshaft would fit my combination perfectly, I want from 2500-6000 (somewhere in that area) and maybe on a good day i am going to hit it with a dose of NOS. I have been looking at cams like the Voodoo 268 and Comps XE 274 but I would love to here your advice.
I would love to have a solid powerful Small Block Chevy that would be able to run on pump gas (It must run on 91-93 Oct pump gas)

Hopefully you guys can help me, since here i have found this the best source when it comes to problems and solutions for old American cars :)

Best Regards.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As i said these cams (Voodoo 268 and XE 274) where just some cams that i was thinking about, i was hoping that you could recommend some cam that would fit my Jeep nicely.

Best Regards.

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
I suggest carefully knocking a few cc's off those domes, anything more than 9.8:1 compression with those heads in that viehicle under those conditions is not going to be pump gas friendly. You're looking in the right realm of cams, but those pistons are going to kill you- I suggest fixing them and going with a cam in line with what you are already looking at.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ap72 said:
I suggest carefully knocking a few cc's off those domes, anything more than 9.8:1 compression with those heads in that viehicle under those conditions is not going to be pump gas friendly. You're looking in the right realm of cams, but those pistons are going to kill you- I suggest fixing them and going with a cam in line with what you are already looking at.
You say anything over 9.8:1 compression isn´t going to be pump gas friendly, I calculated that the compression would be 10.5:1 if i would use 0.15" steel head gasket, then again i calculated the compression using .041" thick gasket and then the compression would be 9.75:1, so it would be better to use the thicker head gasket ?

And thanks for the help guys i appreciate it allot.

F-Bird I couldn´t find the 270/280 Mega cam on Summitracing, is the only chance for me to buy it straight from Isky ?

Best Regards

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
monzter said:
You say anything over 9.8:1 compression isn´t going to be pump gas friendly, I calculated that the compression would be 10.5:1 if i would use 0.15" steel head gasket, then again i calculated the compression using .041" thick gasket and then the compression would be 9.75:1, so it would be better to use the thicker head gasket ?

And thanks for the help guys i appreciate it allot.

F-Bird I couldn´t find the 270/280 Mega cam on Summitracing, is the only chance for me to buy it straight from Isky ?

Best Regards

Do not go over .040" quench distance if you can help it, a large quench coupled with domed pistons is going to be a nightmare.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ap72 said:
Do not go over .040" quench distance if you can help it, a large quench coupled with domed pistons is going to be a nightmare.
Ok, Thanks, Then i am going with the .015" head gasket, and aim for .040" quench. but then the compression is going to be around 10.5:1 IF i don´t mill the piston crown. (I would like to get away from it if you know what i mean) ;)

Best regards.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
F-BIRD'88 said:
This is the link to the Isky 270/280 Mega cam on a 112 LSA
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ISK-201271281-12/

The summit PN is ISK-201271281-12

Ohhh Damn i´m blind :boxing:

Could i get away with using this cam with 10.5:1 compression ratio and still drive on pump gas without using Nos (91-93 Oct ?)

What is your opinion about the quench on dome piston SBC ?

Best Regards and thanks again for all the help, I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info F-Bird :)

No i haven´t started working on the heads, so the final compression might be a little under 10.5 when i have cc the heads.
I was browsing the internet and found this Comp Cams Nitrous HP cam - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-12-564-4/

What do you think of this camshaft ?
Is there no need to go for a special nitrous camshaft for my combination ?

And Yes the MSD distributor is a Mechanical one, no vacuum advance, but i have a tricked out HEI distributor, should i use that distributor over the MSD ?

Do I need colder spark plugs when I am spraying the engine with nitrous ?
And about the Jets, #74 in the front and #85 in the rear ? What power valve do you think would be best for my carb ?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the help F-Bird, That was excactly what I wanted to hear, is this Lunati solid one ain´t pretty damn hot ? 238/248° @ .050" lift ! or is it the advertised duration you are looking at (would i be able to drive on 93 oct with this Lunati cam ?)

Best Regards

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.