Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've need your opinion about the older version of the #993 heads, I have a set on an engine and i am not looking for a drag race engine, i would be very happy with 300 horsepower, are the heads capable of producing that amount of power.

Here's another question I am swapping camshaft's in my 9:1 comp 350, that has these #993 heads on it, the engine has Edelbrock Torker intake manifold and headers, the camshaft that's going in is the Crane Powermax 272/284, the ignition is GM Hei with 50.000 volt coil.
What do you think would be the best initial timing for this engine and also at full advance (and at what rpm) The carb is Holley HP 750 CFM, what jet's should i put in it, so it won't run as rich as hell !!!

Best regards.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
F-BIRD'88 said:
Timing: 12 to 16 intial 34 to 36 total mechanical
+ 12 to 15 deg vacuum advance

Carb jetting: 750HP 6.5 power valve 70-72 primary 80-84 secondary.
Swap the intake manifold for a Edelbrock Performer RPM at your earliest convenience. You'll really like the overall improvement.
The heads have modest port airlfow in stock form.
I would give the 993 heads the best home port job you can brew up and install with a thin .015" head gasket if the block is not 0 decked.

Cam: Very good choice. A split rocker ratio 1.6in 1.5ex enhances power with this one.
So when i set the distributor in the engine i just rotate the engine so the damper says 12-16° (i have original damper if that matters) and then point the rotor towards cyl 1 ?

Also it must be done at compression stroke ? that's when both rocker-arms are loose ? Am i correct ?

Best regards

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help guys, I swapped cams, and I tested the Jeep yesterday and everything is working like a charm, the engine rev's quicker, rev's higher and feels very powerful, I like it a lot and appreciate the help.
The heads are pocket ported so i think that i might be at the 300 hp mark if I am lucky.

Best regards.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.