Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am rebuilding my 350 sbc engine, and when I took the block to the machine shop, I thought I remembered a seal or gasket around the outside edge of where the oil filter adapter bolts on. I called the machine shop about it, but he said that a 2 piece rear main block does not have a gasket for the oil filter adapter, it bolts metal to metal. I also went to the local chevy dealer, (lost cause) and they could not find a gasket or seal for it either. Can anyone confirm if the machine shop is right?

·
Registered
112 Posts
plthomp said:
I am rebuilding my 350 sbc engine, and when I took the block to the machine shop, I thought I remembered a seal or gasket around the outside edge of where the oil filter adapter bolts on. I called the machine shop about it, but he said that a 2 piece rear main block does not have a gasket for the oil filter adapter, it bolts metal to metal. I also went to the local chevy dealer, (lost cause) and they could not find a gasket or seal for it either. Can anyone confirm if the machine shop is right?
The shop is right. I have a 327 SBC with the same adapter. The seal is the neoprene ring that goes around the inside if the lip when you change the oil filter.

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
A factory adapter doesn't use a gasket. Some aftermarket oil filter adapters use a rubber seal around the outside of the adapter base where it contacts the block. It's about the same diameter as a spin-on filter for a SBC. Here's a pic of the TransDapt version from Summit's site:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking that the block had a gasket around the outside edge. Since this is the original adapter and flange, do I need the see about finding the gasket, or just go without it?

·
Registered
112 Posts
It sounds like you want to have a gasket where none is needed. Ok, use a neoprene O ring from an oil filter. That will fit it perfectly.

·
World Class ASE tech
704 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank everyone very much for the information. I will go and purchase the canister filter tomorrow.

This is a great site!!!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
350 Chevy oil filter adapter

I just put a 350 crate in my '41. No gasket needed on adaptor. Used OEM adapter. Seal is provided by Oil Filter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts