Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a 350 chevy from a 1980 pickup looks like it was rebuilt a while ago problem is my endgap for the top rig is about .035 that seems like too big of a gap to me im using the old rings to get that measurment there is no ridge at all on the top of any of the cylinders does .035 seem out of range? if it does could i get a set of file fit piston rings and use them or should i bore the motor out im hoping that i wont have to do that cause the pistons that were in there seem to be in good shape and not wore down,thanks for any input,steve

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
First thing you need to do is measure the bores at the top and the bottom.. This motor may have been ridge reamed and then re-rung. This would give way too much taper to the bore. Ring end gaps are typically in the .020-.027 range for stock type cast iron rings in a decent hole. Measured at the bottom of the piston travel. A file fit ring would close up the gap, but what about your piston to bore clearance? Typically .0025" max on a cast stock type piston.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Okay, better listen to Bob. He certainly knows more about that stuff than me. I thought that the cast ring had more gap than that, but honestly I can remember what the last set that I had measured.

Chris

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah i think this block is gonna go to the machine shop might as well spend the money and do it right the first time thanks for the help,steve

1 - 5 of 5 Posts