Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have 71 Chevy K10 (4x4) and with a 350 transmission and it runs tight seem to have a LOTS of power ...but I just want to be able to run it more loose I guess if you can call it that.

What can I do so it won't run so tight ?

The engine sounds like it's always at high RPMs when I'm on the roadway trying to keep up with posted limit 45-50 mph.

Also I was thinking of a 700r Transmission. Any thoughts?

If I get the 700r what would I need add or replace for 2wd?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like you need to find out what rear end gears you have. What RPM is your engine running at 50mph?

Somebody else said that too... What gears should I get for it to run smooth or I guess normal without loosing too much power what are my options??

I can't see you RPMs because the gauge is not working at this time.
I'm in the process of fixing the truck step by step.

Eventually I will like to make it a hotrod no longer 4x4 but a----2WD and if I do that I been thinking of a 700r transmission. More gears better gas mileage (that's why).

If I take the front end (4x4) differential I know it will be kissing something what do I need?

It's a 1971 Chevy (SBC) 350 engine with 4x4 differential. Wish to make it a 350 SBC with 700r transmission 2WD.

·
Registered
9 Posts
4x4 to 4x2 conversion.

unless you really love this truck, you will spend way more money and work than if you sell it as a 4x4 and get a 2 wheel drive to begin with. I say this, after converting a two wheel to four wheel. Even with good deals on parts, I had about twice the money into the truck as I could have sold it for, remembering that you have to include the original cost of the vehicle. remember, four wheel drives go for more money. one piece of advice, advertise your four wheel somewhere it snows.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
Everybody likes there different combos of engine and transmission but I bought my 96 s10 that had a 350 vortec in it and a 700r4 with 4.10 gears in the rear and was a 2wd and was fine for cruising down the highway with the overdrive and 55mph was around 2500 rpm give or take. I sold the motor and did not want to keep the 700r4 but instead put in a turbo 350 since overall it is a more cost effective transmission and also stronger and cheaper to buy brand new and build up for more power coming from the engine. I had to have a extension welded on the transmission crossmember for a transmission mount for the turbo 350 and also had to swap out the driveshaft for a correct length. After everything was all said and done I loved my truck but the rpms at highway were horrible with 4.10 and no overdrive so I swapped out my rear gears for a set of 3.42 so its about what it was like with the overdrive from the 700r4 but with the turbo 350 transmission. There are many aftermarket builders who sell a good 700r4 but they do cost compared to a turbo 350. If you want to swap out then you will have to have a switch made up for the function of the lock out of the torque convertor and also will have to have a different length driveshaft and torque convertor and if your going to put any more power then a stock 350 it will have to be built with stronger parts and that will cost more there. I honestly like the turbo 350 and mine is always tight since I also have a shift kit and it shifts good and hard if that is what your talking about.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
unless you really love this truck, you will spend way more money and work than if you sell it as a 4x4 and get a 2 wheel drive to begin with. I say this, after converting a two wheel to four wheel. Even with good deals on parts, I had about twice the money into the truck as I could have sold it for, remembering that you have to include the original cost of the vehicle. remember, four wheel drives go for more money. one piece of advice, advertise your four wheel somewhere it snows.
Do you know anybody that's interested in a 1972 Chevy 4x4 truck or I would trade for a 67-68-69-70-71-72 Chevy C10 2WD.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is the transmission shifting to 3rd gear or is it staying in 2nd? Are you running the truck in 4WD LOW range?
It does shift to 3rd gear...but it seems like it could run at lower RPMs...

I guess I can't compare a new truck with a 72 chevy but I believe the gears may need to be changed for better ratio. I just don't know what's a decent gear without making the engine sound like is going at 9000 RPM

1 - 9 of 9 Posts