Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok heres my story.. I have two stock 350's one is a earliler model, aprox a early 80's, the other is the late model, approx a early 90's. I need to rebuilb the early 90's one, as the early 80's one is shot. I see the intake manifolds are different, and I want to run my intake and carb that is one my earlier engine. In some maginizes I see you can buy an adapter to make the bolts work from the earlier to late model. But can I simply swap heads from the earlier one to the late one that way I can run my intake and carb setup I have? Hope that all makes since... not woried about power or anything just want it to run right. Thanks In advance.

·
Registered
15,328 Posts
followme21 said:
Ok heres my story.. I have two stock 350's one is a earliler model, aprox a early 80's, the other is the late model, approx a early 90's. I need to rebuilb the early 90's one, as the early 80's one is shot. I see the intake manifolds are different, and I want to run my intake and carb that is one my earlier engine. In some maginizes I see you can buy an adapter to make the bolts work from the earlier to late model. But can I simply swap heads from the earlier one to the late one that way I can run my intake and carb setup I have? Hope that all makes since... not woried about power or anything just want it to run right. Thanks In advance.
Easiest way out is to swap heads and use the appropriate manifold. Neither of your heads are "performance units if these engines are not Corvette or Z-28 in origin so neither head would have particular go fast advantages.

If you decide to mix heads and intakes, there is an adapter by Holley http://www.holley.com/90748.asp this accommodates the difference when mixing pre 87 and 87 and newer heads and intake.

The old heads and intake have the center 4 bolts at a 90 degree angle to the head's intake port face. The new heads have this angle at 72 degrees. The solution of crossing years of manifold and heads is that the bolt holes in the intake are egged out in shape to allow the bolts to be inserted at the proper angle to the head. The problem this causes is the bolt heads no longer mate parallel with the torque pad on the intake leaving the bolt head unsupported except in a single spot of contact. This will snap the bolt head off and can also damage the manifold. The Holley adapter restores the parallelism between all these parts. You can also carve you own from some 1/4 inch schedule 40 steel (iron) or brass pipe if you have a protractor, hack saw, file, vise and some patience, that'll save you the better part of 75 bucks.

Bogie

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.