Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i just got this car and it has a 350 in it. I really dont know what it all has, but its a 3 speed and it has some sort of shift kit in it. I was wonderin if there is any tips or quick performance upgrades i can do. I was think a carb spacer, and a k&n air filter, but im new to 350's. my last car was a 1990 camaro with a 3.1. But i knew that engine, though. Im not to used to a 350, I would really appreciate the help. and thanks again.

Ray :thumbup:

·
Mekanicus Automotive Group
178 Posts
350 is a snap!

What year is it? What Car is it? Well, no matter. A 350 is a 350. For starters, a wee bit more oomph can be gained by andvancing the timing up closer to 18-20 degrees idle, this will give a total advance of closer to 35, and be sure to run 91 or higher octane if you do it. I myself run 350 roadrace engines with fixed advance distributors at 37 degrees, way too much for on the street. A good dual-plane aluminum intake from either Weiand or Edelbrock is another good idea for street use. Exhaust cross-over or X-pipe if you have duals and headers, gut the cat if it has one, or tear it clean off and split it into duals, ram-air induction or some other for of cold air induction, synthetic oil, a K&N of course, disable the EGR, remove the A.I.R pump, cup of water down the intake while running at temp to clean the valves off (real old hotrodders trick there, runs terrible for a day or two, but then clears out), light-weight flexplate, stall converter, port and polish the heads, chromed crank journals, the list goes on forever.

Speedshift.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Doc here, :pimp:

Need to know
  • What car it is,
  • What year,
  • is it Confuserised,
  • Is Smog Testing required for it?
  • How much are you willing to spend
  • How much Can you do (within your skill level) Weld, rebuild Etc..
  • How long do you want to take to do this thing..
  • What Will it be used for..Bread and milk and Captain Crunch runs, or to terrorize a small zip code on the weekends?
All of that plays into the mix..

Doc :pimp:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well guys its a 83 camaro. I cant put exaust on the car, cause it already had side pipes, and i dont think there is anything i can do to the side pipes. It gots headers. Im willing to spend how much it takes, im goin to keep this car until i die. I would like some quick tips, like something simple. well thanks for replying

1 - 5 of 5 Posts