Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have a 73 chevelle with unfortunately an l65 350. The emissions de tuning just kinda killed this 350 in this car. So anyways, being as that she only has 39k miles on her I was wondering what I should do to reach 350 horsepower? I want to keep my budget reasonable, I can get parts reasonably priced as i have family who run a shop a couple states away. Ill still have to install them myself though. What should I add to get this goal?

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
350 Horsepower

Well the 1973 engine you have has the smog heads on it to reduce compression. So really a top end change is what you need. Check out these heads they will be a good start. Patriot, Freedom Series Alum. Chev SB Head, Assm., 190/64cc-Competition Products. To get the horsepower in the range you want check out this camshaft kit from Summit Racing. It has everything you need included. COMP Cams Xtreme Energy Cam and Lifter Kits K12-238-2 - SummitRacing.com. For an intake manifold try an Edelbrock Performer RPM. Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake Manifolds 7101 - SummitRacing.com. If you already have a 600 cfm carburetor or better just bolt it to this manifold. With these upgrades your horsepower should increase to around 380 @ 5500 rpms and 425 ft.lbs. torque @ 4000 rpms.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the 1973 engine you have has the smog heads on it to reduce compression. So really a top end change is what you need. Check out these heads they will be a good start. Patriot, Freedom Series Alum. Chev SB Head, Assm., 190/64cc-Competition Products. To get the horsepower in the range you want check out this camshaft kit from Summit Racing. It has everything you need included. COMP Cams Xtreme Energy Cam and Lifter Kits K12-238-2 - SummitRacing.com. For an intake manifold try an Edelbrock Performer RPM. Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake Manifolds 7101 - SummitRacing.com. If you already have a 600 cfm carburetor or better just bolt it to this manifold. With these upgrades your horsepower should increase to around 380 @ 5500 rpms and 425 ft.lbs. torque @ 4000 rpms.
If I replaced the head with vortecs would it produce the same amount of power? found out I can get them pretty cheap from a buddy of mine. thank you btw

·
www.generationhighoutput. com
897 Posts
If I replaced the head with vortecs would it produce the same amount of power? found out I can get them pretty cheap from a buddy of mine. thank you btw
Vortec heads will get you to 350hp fairly easily. You're going to need a vortec-specific top end, though. Intake, Heads, valve covers, all that. I understand that it's hard to find a set that isn't cracked either, so make sure you get them checked out by a competent machine shop before you plunk down the dough. 062 or 906 casting will be the 350 vortecs. Anything else is probably not worth the money.

If it were mine, I'd go the other way. Start with some inexpensive stuff. Rebuild your quadrajet, get a set of headers and focus on your third member. You're going to probably want at least a 3.55 or 3.73 rear ratio. Those things alone will probably wake the smog beast up a little bit while you hunt for a good set of heads.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Make sure that regardless of what head you go to, if it has guide plates you need to change the pushrods to hardened pushrods! Guide plates will wear through stock pushrods.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well it looks like ill be picking up an engine out of the pick n pull near here. you can grab them for under 400 with a vortec head, ill do a swap and go from there, its honestly cheaper i can say. and id much rather enjoy the 260 hp from the measly 160 thats in it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.