Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
http://teamrfc.gospelcom.net
1,742 Posts
I understand the desire for the look of a 2X4 setup, but it will not match the rest of your motor very well as far as the powerband goes. If you are after the look and sound of a fast car, a lopey cam and the 2x4 setup may be the way to go. If you want to get the best performance you can out of your motor, I would recommend a dual plane intake and a cam in the mid 220's @.050 duration. What year is the motor, and what is the car? As far as boring it .04 over, I dont think that should be a problem, but some of the other guys on here will be able to give you a more definitive answer.

Adam

·
Some Punk Kid
786 Posts
I got a 1970 block bored 40 over. In most cases I think you can do 60 over safely but I could be wrong.
The 2x4 will be overkill unless your building a super RPM machine. Streetable 350s or in your case a 357 would only need a 600-700cfm carb depending on what else you go with in the shortblock assembly. Bigger cam more compression. So if you stay stock bottom end you should stay around the stock duration/lift area.

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
47chevrolet said:
What do u guys think about a older 350 bored .40 over and a 2x4 setup

i would be useing stock heads for a while?

What size cam??

I'd stay small on the cam with that low compression. Single pattern 214* at .050 max. with a 108* lobe center. This will preserve your low-mid power and still give you a slightly lopey idle.

I'd stay with a dual plane intake. period. Avoid the tunnel ram seduction.

I'd be sure to use only vacuum secondary or air valve secondary carbs hopefully small carbs 500 cfm or less, with progressive linkage so that you run on 2 barrels most of the time. The secondaries are never going to open anyway. But they'll look good. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
47chevrolet said:
What do u guys think about a older 350 bored .40 over and a 2x4 setup

i would be useing stock heads for a while?

What size cam??
i ran a 350 .040 over for 7 years, it had flattops stock heads the cam i used was .230 duration then i switched to a smaller high energy 268 by comp cams and gasket match ported the heads and the improvement was amazing. and i always used a 600 cfm edelbrock carb.....i think youll like it

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
runn141 said:
i ran a 350 .040 over for 7 years, it had flattops stock heads the cam i used was .230 duration then i switched to a smaller high energy 268 by comp cams and gasket match ported the heads and the improvement was amazing. and i always used a 600 cfm edelbrock carb.....i think youll like it
As long as the manifold hole is equal or smaller than the hole into the head, you are okie dokie.....

.080 gasket matching is worth about 2 hp.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.