Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, i have a 1989 chevy silverado 1/2 ton pick up, long wheel base, it had a stock 350 in it..but it just recently started smoking...everyone has been telling me i either washed the rings out of it or i blew a hole in the piston....it had over 280,000 miles on it...so i think i got my use out of it..i am going to buy a 350 4 bolt main longblock for the truck for 1133.33, with a 3 year unlimited mile warranty...im going to keep the old motor and try to rebuild it ...but as for the 4 bolt main...i have been considering MSD ignition and want to know all the spec's about it..and which one would be best for my motor...im going to use it as a everyday driver and maybe play around on the weekends...want to be able to keep up with mustangs and vetts..etc...nothing that is too illeagle..but a lil is okay;) i have also thought about Multi Port Fuel Injection(MPFI) and was wondering how much i would gain with that...im 17 year old male from texas...i dont know a whole lot but im willing to set down and read what i have to read to learn all i can...also want to know about power pullies, ...what is ya'lls advise..what would you do if you had my truck?
I would like any advice i can get...thank you a whole bunch
-David-

i have attached a picture so you can see what im working on..i dont have a pic of the motor but i will soon....the grille is a custom grill, and the paint job is custom..i drew up the graphics and my dad painted them on there when it was his truck..

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
8,821 Posts
I can't see the cars for the forest!

MSD would be overkill for you application. Try a intake and short cam with headers and good mufflers. Rear gear would also be an improvement.

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
MPFI wont gain you a whole lot of power (if the comparing carb is properly tuned) however you'll be miles ahead when it comes to gas consumption.

Going in a truck, its going to take a lot to get that 350 to perform with the Vettes (however if it says Z06 or Z51 then just forget about it :) ). You'd be better off getting a 383 setup or even a 400. Save your money for the best matched head/cam setup you can get. Looking at 1500 for parts and hardware with that. Get a set of full length headers and some free flowing exhaust.

As far as the intake system goes. It really depends on how much money you have left. With the trend gas prices are showing today youd be better off investing in a MPFI setup. You can buy a unit and set it up, with the sensors and wiring for about 1000 bucks if you know where to get the parts (ebay!). Just get one from 86 or older (to match the heads you'll be getting right?).

The ignitions systems that came with the TPI (Tuned Port Injection) units was pretty hefty however I ran an MSD type (this ones made by Crane) Multispark box and love it. Given this setup you wont need a feel MSD ignition however some of their wires (or other quality Spiral core wires) would do some good.

What gear ratio are you running right now?

Whats your budget?

Perhaps later I will post a picture of my setup which is a lot like something your probably after.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey, thanks for the help...everyone is telling me to go to MSD igntion...im just trying to find out which set up i want to use on my 350...im gonna go ahead and stick with the 350 4 bolt main....i think i have a 373 rear end gear...not sure..i havent been able to find out..and my dad thinks i do too...i was going to put headers on it...but i want a low tone truck...kinda like a sleeper...so when some lil kid in a mustang pulls up and laughs at me...i can turn around and laugh at him..like i said..i dont want anythingn to tear the asphalt up...just something to play around with...i dont have any ideah how much h/p and torq that motor has stock...dont even know how to find out till i get it here...but i have already ordered it so....i thank ya'll for all the help your giving me...if anyone has any more suggestions...let me know
K? ---thanks David---

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
Get headers. If you want to keep it low profile get some low profile mufflers. Do some research. Camaros and Vettes normally have some mufflers that during normal driving and idle are very quiet, but upon full acceleration really open up into a nice growl.

Ask further if you have any specific questions.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i was thinking about headers..and getting some header wraps or something..cause my dad, uncle, and granfather all told me i have to be careful not to melt the spark plug wires and gaskets sometimes dont seal...and like i said..im completly new to this..i know i sound like a 7 year old that knows nothing...sorry

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
Use some sleeves for the wires however I wouldn't suggest using wrap. It tends to lock moisture between the wrap and the header causing rust to form and over time, it eats through your headers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the truck is a 89 chevy silverado 1/2 to..that model comes with the computer and has TBI....i was not talking about putting tbi on it..i was talking about converting tbi over to mpfi...how hard would it be, how much $$$$$ would it cost...where should i go..i have been looking at jegs.com and they have a set up for around 1,000, they also have some that are around 2,000 i was going to come off the motor with headers , with true duel's, then right behind the cab i was going to put a cut off valve on it..the Y....and it has a valve in it so i can operate it from inside the truck...and add pipe to it..i was basically going to have two exhaust under it...one was going to be the reg semi quiet exhaust and then the other 2 pipes were going to be the cut off valves...lots of ideas..just dont know if they will work and my dad keeps changing his mind. so i guess i will have to do everything myself..he is wanting me to buy a new truck now:p

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
Your looking at replacing all the engine wiring with a new harness, a new computer, a new fuel pump, new intake and multiport setup. Not too bad if you have the time. You could get a new aftermarket setup or you could get something off ebay that was ripped off something. Just be sure its an 87 or later unit to make your head bolt pattern. You wont have to replumb any fuel lines as you shoudl already have a return line.

The cost will depend on the route you want to go. Plan on 1500. Look on ebay and see what you find. Do some reading on it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
you said 87 or later..it being a 89...i think that 88-94 are the only parts that will interchange..that is what everyone has been telling me...and some of the parts do i know for sure...i know the parts off a 88 will...but i dont know about a 87...never heard of a 87 interchanging with mine...i am looking at a "6n1" computer chip...it is supposed to have 66 settings, stock, valleth, stage 1 stage 2, anti theft and something else...it is around 200 but i think it is worth it....considering that a stage 1 is work 127 down here.....and a stage 2 is like 180.i have been doing some of my homework...hehe, do ya'll have any other ideas besides msd, mpi, headers, the chip, i have a k&n air filter for it...i am thinking about setting up a ram air system..either a hood scoop, or set a ram air system up in the grille...a friend is giving me a few ideas about that, im still kinda wanting to keep it"under cover" kinda like a sleeper...so no one knows what i have..it looks stock till i pop the hood, also considered cold air induction and a fuel chiller...if anyone has any ideas at all please let me know..i have a whole list of stuff i would like..it is like 12,000 now..and thats just the minor stuff

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
Whatever ram air you use will have to run through the Mass Airflow sensor. In 89 they changed to a speed density and dropped the electronic spark control unit. Do your reading online and in books, and dont base your knowledge base just on what friends tell you :).

READ READ READ.

Feel free to post or PM any specific questions.

·
Registered
225 Posts
TPI tuned port fuel injection

hey guys
im currently reading about TUNED PORT INJECTION. I have a 1986 buick regal that is carbed right now and i want to change it to TPI. I have flat top pistons and a fairly big cam, with headers. The tpi has brand new injectors and just came off of a 1987 Iroc Z that had a rollerised 305 in it. Will the TPI run if i put it on my motor with those parts having a 350?? i was told the pistons will be ok but i never asked about the cam. I also have a gear drive but someone said i had to take the knock ensor out becuase the gears will trip the sensor. Has ANYBODY ever done this and is it worth doing? I have a holley single plain intake with an edelbrock 650 on it...will the TPI perform better than the carb setup?? Thanks.. RYAn :confused: :smash:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hey, i have done a lot of researching about ram air, i guess i have not done enough cause i have never ran into anything about the mass air sensor...but i will see what i can find...if you have any info about it i would like too hear...tanks..also, if yoou had $800 what would you do to it..since i have a computer on it i thought about putting a chip on it very first..but then again i thought about putting msd on it before the chip...or headers first..im not sure what i want to do but i have to do it one at a time...what is your opinion abbbout ram air, cold air induction, and a fuel chiller...i dont know what i should do..i dont know what wll give me the best performance for the least amount of money:p...im making anywhere from 300-450 a month..and i dont have any billls except for insurance and gas, and lil stuff here and there..but if it was you what all would you put on a stock motor to start out with..i dont want too much untill the motor gets broken in...but after that im gonna be spending some money:p
thanks...David Carr

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
A chip can be good however if you do many mods, you'll want to reflash the chip for a different timing and fuel curve.

What are the major mods you havent done?

Best perfomance, least amount of money would be N02.

Do you have headers? What do you already have? What type of induction?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hey everyone...i have not done any mod's yet...thats why im on here..trying to get advice to find out what mods i need to do first for the least amount of money, besides NOS...the truck is stock...wait, i take that back..i have a K&N air filter..that is about it..motor wise, and remember, i have not yet baught the motor..it is still at the dealer....and it will be completly stock...i will put all my stuff off of the old motor onto it..it has tbi...i want mpi, but thats in the future..im thinking about getting some power pullies and headers to put on it when i put it together and stick it in the truck...but dont know if that is a good idea...somebody let me know something:p...thanks

--David----

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.