Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Vescuso
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have replaced the thermostat, and the radiator and my '85 Chevy is overheating bad, 350 motor 1990. I red-lined it to town but was still able to touch it with my bare hands on both valve covers.

·
Vescuso
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
overheating w/o a hot engine

mechanical fan and the water boils but not out i can open the radiator without shutting the truck off. A while back the ex-radiator bounced out and clobbered the fan but when i replaced the radiator the truck was running great until a few days ago. I started her up and within 10mins. she was almost red-lining. Thank you soooooo much for your help and advice it is ever so much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
11,051 Posts
Make sure you don't have a air pocket trapped in the motor...Also you said a new thermostat.. Did you check it ??? Sometimes you will get a bad one.. (Even new)..

·
Registered
7 Posts
low coolent levels could cause this if you top the radiator off when its cool thats not enough for when the thermostate kicks on it dumps that water into the block and which in return lower the amount in the radiator.

·
Vescuso
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually I don't think the other thermostat was bad, my truck was leaking antifreeze out of or near the water pump. I'm trying that next is a new pump. And thank you because i have gotten a bad thermostat before and didn't know how to test it back then but you have to boil it right? Thank you soo much for your help.

·
Premium Member
11,051 Posts
Actually I don't think the other thermostat was bad, my truck was leaking antifreeze out of or near the water pump. I'm trying that next is a new pump. And thank you because i have gotten a bad thermostat before and didn't know how to test it back then but you have to boil it right? Thank you soo much for your help.
Yes, you have to boil it..
If you had a leak around the pump.. Change it.. It's your problem..:D

·
Registered
77 Posts
Could be a relay not turning electric fan on. If car runs cool while driving on highway but heats up at traffic lights it is a fan or relay problems. If it is hot all the time then it is probably a stuck thermostat or water pump failure. Good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.