Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found a new 350 ramjet engine but the intake is gone. I was wondering how much of a power loss there would be if a carb was installed. Does anybody know it the cam has the lobe for the fuel pump? Really do not want to spend 1800 for the intake assembly.

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
There will be some power loss, but it won`t be by that much.
In most cases I`ve seen the fuel pump lobe is still there and I have seen one that wasn`t, but you have to make sure the fuel pump boss has been drilled also. I`ve seen some blocks that were, some that were partially, and others not at all. You`ll also have to check and be sure the fuel pump boss has the oil return drilled. If the fuel pump boss is intact, slide the push rod in and cycle the engine, if the rod moves your good to go.

·
Marcel
413 Posts
350 ramjet

Why couldn't he just us an electric pump? 50.00 at Advance

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
He could use a electric pump. But some, like myself, don`t like electric pumps. Years ago I tried one on my street ride. After 30 minutes I had already took it off and replaced the stock pump, the drone of the electric drove me nuts as I could hear it over my flowmasters. On a race vehicle I`d use a electric, but on a street ride where I want to keep my sanity I`d rather have a mechanical.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
With the correct intake(performer rpm comes to mind)and cab 3310 holley would be a good choice, power would probably be higher than the fuel injection setup.(not a bunch but some).As for fuel pump depending on the vehicle you are installing it in adapt an intank electric pump using a return style regulator.Little noise no fuss.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well my wife and I went to the city today to pickup the engine. I knew this was to good to be true ($1500)............. it was a new engine still in the crate, unfortunately it was the base 350 not a ramjet. The heads are not even vortecs as they have 6 bolts in each head. The seller kept saying its a ramjet 350 even as we walked away. At least the trip went very well and we had a good time together today :thumbup:

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
If you hang it on rubber muffler hanger material, that stuff that looks like it was cut from an old tire, and use a short piece of rubber hose at the inlet and outlet of the pump, you'll never know the pump's there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.