Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished rebuilding a chevy 350 and am trying to prelube the engine using a electric drill. I have oil pressure,but no oil to the #2,4,6,8 side of the engine (lifters). Block was cleaned at the machine shop and has new cam,bearings, and lifters. Any ideas?? Thanks Bud

·
Registered
323 Posts
did you soak the lifters in oil for a day before installing them, lifters should be filled before installation.was the block sonic cleaned or hot tanked sometimes hot tanks don't get everything out, were the gallery plugs removed and reamed with a rifle brush or just replaced, when I send a block to be cleaned I will get it back for prep before they put in the freeze, oil gallery, and block plugs,also the cam berings this way I can check and do everything before the machine work is done.are the cam berings aligned correctly.I use an old distributor cut to fit with a turned down shaft to fit a drill and then run it for at least a full minit

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input Tom. I didn't soak the lifters. I used an old dist shaft and drill. Oil pressure came right up and oil at the 1,3,5,7 is good.seems like only one bank not getting oil should tell me something. Block was hot tanked,and plugs removed and brushed out by the shop. They also installed the cam bearings and the holes do align.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Slide the shaft into an empty distributor housing,and then spin it again.The main oil galley on the right bank(cyl.#2,4,6,8) runs around the distributor housing.Without the housing in place, the oil bleeds back into the block instead of through the galley.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks vanl6, You are correct. I figured out what was going on when I removed the rear gallery plug.In the past, I've always just cranked the engine without plugs until the oil came up. Should be able to fire it up tomorrow. thanks.

·
Registered
59 Posts
just to add my 2 cents instead of soaking my lifters i like to take a oil squirt can and put the oil in that way have done this several times with out fail kept me from wasting so much oil the soaking works 100% just givin my 2 cents

1 - 6 of 6 Posts