Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 76 Malibu ran enough to get it on and off the trailer parked it now it won't start jus cranks put new gas in it cleaned carb nothing ? Note car has 90000 miles and the ppl I bought it from were the original owners also I noticed when they were pulling it off the trailer white smoke and when I checked the oil it looked new maybe a bad head gasket wld that make it not start also they lost the key and they broke the ignition wld that not make it start ?

·
True Hotrodder
1,427 Posts
Basics please. You need 4 things to fire an engine. Fuel, Air, Compression & Spark.

Appears you covered the Fuel, Air should be a given. The engine ran previously and we assume you didn't floor it and blow it to junk so we should have some compression.

Than leaves spark. Start with pulling a spark plug, reconnect it and ground it - then crank the engine and see if you get a white-blue spark.

Let us know what you find or don't find.

·
Registered
13,683 Posts
At 90,000 miles it is ready, if not past, needing a timing set (two gears cam and crank plus a chain some gaskets and seal). This is not easy to check for if the engine doesn’t run, so try the simple stuff first to see if it has spark and fuel.

Bogie

1 - 3 of 3 Posts