Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to everyone on the board. Im new to this site and i just wanted to start off by saying hello:welcome: Ok well i have a 1987 toyota supra and i am looking into swaping out that straight 6 for a 350 small block. I have a couple of questions about it. I have the motor but am lacking the motor mounts. Ive been to the supra forums and have gotten little to no help from them. I have used google and everyother method of searching and have come up empty handed. If anyone has any information about this it would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i do know a compitent welder and im not that bad of a welder myself but im really not trying to make my own mounts i would just perfer to bolt in some pre made ones that will work just as well

·
CLICK ON MY AVATAR
321 Posts
You will have to fabricate them yourself.that is not that common of an engine swap for that car.Nobody made them on a production scale ,too expensive.Just weld up some.bm

·
Registered
107 Posts
350/Supra swap

One thing you might consider. buy a set of SBC motor mounts front Hiedts Hot rod shop. (Do a google search for Hiedts) They sell a very nice kit that includes the motor mounts with urethane inserts which bolts to the motor and the shaped plates that weld to the frame which the mounts bolts to. I have done that for my project and it turned out great. A very clean looking job when you get through. David

·
Registered
7 Posts
i'm wondering why you would want to do a 350 swap into a supra. you'd be surprised how much power you can get out of that 6 cylinder engine. if anything I would swap in a newer supra engine. just my .02

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Fab'ing up the motor mounts will be one of the easiest parts of the swap. There are plenty of "kits" out there but, I HIGHLY doubt you will find a Supra specific "kit". Since you can weld this should be a piece of cake. Locate where you want to engine to sit and see what it's going to take to mount it there.

You could always go with a crossmember kit from any of the shops (Chris Alstons, Art Morrison, S&W Racecars, etc..) weld in the crossmember complete with engine mounts.

As far as finding in a bolt in kis, I don't see that happening but, you never know. People put SBC in everything.

Royce

·
Registered
530 Posts
Try v8rx7.com That is an rx7 swap site I would bet they can steer you in the right direction. I was playing with the idea of putting a V-8 in an RX-7 I used to own but came to my senses:D Anyway the common RX-7 sites called me a moron (which I might be) and didn't want to hear about something different I would guess that is what you are running into at the Supra sites.
Good luck on the swap I want to see pics when you get it done.:thumbup:

·
Registered
530 Posts
Try v8rx7.com That is an rx7 swap site I would bet they can steer you in the right direction. I was playing with the idea of putting a V-8 in an RX-7 I used to own but came to my senses:D Anyway the common RX-7 sites called me a moron (which I might be) and didn't want to hear about something different I would guess that is what you are running into at the Supra sites.
Good luck on the swap I want to see pics when you get it done.:thumbup:

I posted that twice incase you missed it the first time.:spank:

·
Registered
8 Posts
well for my first post im bringing this one back from the grave... i just finished my 87 supra / sbc 350 swap, motor mounts were one of the easiest things lol. i used solid motor mounts, on a 72 on up chevy van they have little mounts that lift it off the frame a little bit. i mocked up the motor, got everything straight and welded them up. worked great!! exhaust is a pain in the ***** but i got some turbo headers facing fwd then some 90 degree bends coming back under the car. i have tons of pics if anyone wants to see pm me.

·
Im trying to have an idea!
380 Posts
Id be interested, just post em up. :thumbup:

·
Im trying to have an idea!
380 Posts
sure did take him a while to get that car finished :welcome:

·
Registered
17,611 Posts
This thread is 5 years old and SpoolyMcBoost probably has it figured out by now, but to help any of the rest of you who have an engine swap in mind, allow me to counsel you. Bottom line is: You don't know what you don't know. Before buying anything or striking an arc, educate yourself by reading engine swap literature such as these....
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...1_olp_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1253913722&sr=1-1
http://www.amazon.com/Engine-Swappi...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1253913722&sr=1-2
http://www.amazon.com/Hot-Rod-Engin...=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1253913870&sr=1-5
http://www.amazon.com/Swap-Engines-...r_1_31?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1253913943&sr=1-31

1 - 16 of 16 Posts