Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanx all of you for helping me out..I was advised on a few things...which I changed , Ended up being a bent pin in the wiring harness to connect the tps sensor.. So all of you that said tps sensor/ wiring to it.. thanx for the advice because had I not changed it 3 times , I would not of found the bent pin.. I changed to 02 sensor tooo because it looked old.. only $40.. Funny how a bent ground pin wouldn't set the check engine light.. oh well.. thanx and happy new year. !! :welcome:

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
It's funny...when you go to have codes read at those auto stores one of the first things the computer kicks back is to replace the O2 sensor. I wonder if that ever helps the problem/clears the check engine light? Anyways, glad you found the problem! :thumbup:

·
Registered
169 Posts
O2 sensors are funny. On some vehicles, they last forever, but on others, it seems like you should change them as often as the plugs. When I worked at an auto parts store, the 2nd most common computer code was for a bad o2 sensor, and most of the time, even if the person said the car was running fine, the next time they would come in, they'd say that their car has more throttle response, gets better mileage, or idles smoother.

I think that the O2 sensor is one of those things that, as it wears out, you don't necessarily notice, but the vehicle responds less to small changes in throttle position, mileage slowly drops, but it is so slow a change that you don't really notice it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
If they aren't too expensive, I'd replace them on a vehicle with high miles. I'm not going to promise you anything, though, as when I swapped the O2 sensor on my 87 TBI chevy truck after I had driven it for about 60k, (truck had about 240k on it at that time, no clue if the o2 sensor had been replaced before) it made no difference. The old one I took out was pretty clean, though, it didn't have nearly as much carbon on it as I expected.

Chris

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Understood. I'll still check it out. My Chevy pickup is at @ 185,000 miles and the wife's Explorer just went over 100,000. Hers got an engine check lite at 109,000 miles. Coded out to unburned gases on drivers side and said change O2 sensor and so on. I changed out the plugs and cleared up the lite for that one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.