Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Pure American Muscle
684 Posts
Well to start off here what pistons do you have. 2nd how do you know you will have to much compression? The engine that came stock with vortech heads on are not the aftermarket vortech heads that everyone is buying. If you give us more specs. on the engine we can cal. the compression and then everyone will give you a better idea of what do to.

Chris

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not done this conversion. The question is: if you put GM Vortec heads on a stock mid 80's block will you be stuck with buying high octane gas? I'm talking stock flat top pistons here.

Vortec equipped late model trucks use 87 octane. I'm assuming that they must use dished pistons.

Bottom line: I have a stock mid 80's 350 in my Scout II. I'm about due for a rebuild. Should I spend $300 on rebuilding my heads or spend $500 on new GM Vortec heads? I want to continue useing cheap (ya right) 87 octane as this is my DD.

·
wind & fire = guides to power
1,529 Posts
I will be border line. Vortecs come factory with minor dish top pistons. If you really must use 87 I would not put the vortecs on flat tops, compression will be well over 10:1

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.