Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Old(s) Fart
6,014 Posts
American Muscle said:
I now 350 rockets were olds motors but can anyone specify or elaborate on what made them rockets, hp, and just engine spes overall. They seem very rare.
What made them "Rockets"???

The marketing department.

EVERY SINGLE Olds V8 built since 1949 was called "Rocket" (except for the 1961-63 215s, which were called "Rockette" - seriously). They are certainly NOT rare.

Rare would be the 1968-1970 Olds W-31.

·
Old(s) Fart
6,014 Posts
RSM said:
Olds just put a 4bbl carb on the 350 and painted them gold..not much more than that as far as special or anything.
Again, ALL Olds motors were called Rocket. 2bbl, 4bbl, it didn't matter. Also ALL Olds 330 and 350 motors were painted gold until they went to corporate blue in the mid-1970s. Despite what people claim, the "Rocket" designation means NOTHING.

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
joe_padavano said:
What made them "Rockets"???

The marketing department.

EVERY SINGLE Olds V8 built since 1949 was called "Rocket" (except for the 1961-63 215s, which were called "Rockette" - seriously). They are certainly NOT rare.

Rare would be the 1968-1970 Olds W-31.

believe it or not I got a non-running W-31 engine for $50. the complete rear end (the reason I went to see the guy) only cost me $75... That was a good day.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It varied from car to car and year to year...I have a Delta 88 with a 350 Rocket that is rated at 275 HP, I have seen them as high as 330hp in a 68/69 Cutlass 442...again it is all in what you do with it.

If you are asking cause you want to build one, you have to realize that because the Chevy 350 has been made through the 80's and 90's there are much more in means of aftermarket products to increase HP/TQ.

But, if you look at various racers you will see all types of motors...Buick/Olds/Pontiac/Chevy/Ford/Mopar...you get my point.

·
305 Turbo-Fire 240hp
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was just a little curious cause I go to local car shows and guys with cutlasses really speak out about 350 rockets and I was wanting to kno what made them rocket but now I know that was just a gimmick. not saying that there motors werent beefed or running fine Just wsanted to know if rocket ment some special cam, heads, or block

·
Registered
20 Posts
The "Rocket" term was just marketing...Olds had to make their cars special in that era...I can understand why people with Olds talk up their rocket...being an owner of both an Olds and Pontiac I get tired of hearing only about Ford/Chevy motors...there is not enough love for the Step Children.

·
More for Less Racer
20,926 Posts
Back then Chevy small blocks all said "TURBO-FIRE" and the big blocks "TURBO-JET" on the air cleaners, regardless of the power output. Buicks were "WILDCAT", can't remember what Pontiac called theirs.

Early Chryslers had "FIREPOWER" and "FIREDOME" and "RED RAM" hemi's (and others I can't remember).

Alot of Olds( and non-olds public) people seem to think "ROCKET" meant something special even though it didn't.

·
Registered
468 Posts
True, it was mostly marketing. I believe it was 1976, If I remember correctly, that GM decided to cut cost and reduce the number of plants for producing engines. Up until then Oldsmobile did produce their own engines and painted them gold to distinguish their own brand. It be interesting to know how many of those gold painted engines aren't really rockets, but chevy engines painted gold.

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
HoustonAE2 said:
Pontiac did not put anything like that on the air cleaners
Maybe not air cleaners, but Pontiac was a guilty of hype as anyone. What about Ram Air (RA),High Output (HO), Strato Streak, Sprint, Trophy and Super Duty (SD)?

I believe Sprint might have been on the air cleaner, ca. 1968, but my memory is a bit suspect on this.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.