Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Chevy to the death!
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I know these are lame, and both myself and my Dad have treid everything else, but we are at our wits end. Here's the situation: I have a 355 sbc (350 bored .030 over, 194/64 heads remanned from GM Performance <was originally 305 heads I think>,Edelbrock performer intake man, HEI conversion, basic stock everything else) going into a 67 Impala, powerglide tranny. The HEI is wired straight off the battery (the 12V it needs) for now, so I just need to disconnect the negative between starts and when not in use.The engine is in, hooked up and wired up, it turns over fine, the fuel pump is working fine (filled a 2L pop bottle in no time), and she passed a spark test (alligator clips grounded to the intake man). I rotated the engine to 8 BTDC on the balancer, and inserted distributor so that it (rotor?) lines up with the #1 wire lead going from the cap, and lightly tightened down distributor. Stupid question, but I guess it needs to be covered, the #1 spark lead is the veryt front right lead (if you're looking towards the back of the car) right? I even pulled the #1 plug and inserted a wire to take sure it was 8 btdc on one, not six, in case the monkey with the engine before me mixed it up (I built it from a short block up). I tried 2 different Q-jet carbs, and still nothing!!! The occasional weak backfire, but nada. What am I doing wrong??? Any suggestions? I know it's not timed with a timing light yet, but with "half-***" timing, it should still run a bit, no? Thank you very much for your patience and help, Jake Engel

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
It sounds to me like the rockers are out of adjustment. If your positive the timing is set correctly and you have spark and fuel it should start so that leaves either a massive vacuum leak or rockers out of adjustment.

·
Chevy to the death!
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I set valve lash to one full turn past just snug, and no visible vaccume leaks :( How can I check to see if the rocker arms are adjusted properly? Sorry for all the questions I'm just trying to go from square one you know? Thank you btw. I'll buy you a beer on the flip side

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Hi,
Are you sure your not a 180* off, TDC comes up twice in a 4 stroke engine,
you need the compression stroke both valves closed.
As for the #1 plug wire it doesn't matter what terminal it's on as long as
the rotor will point at it when at TDC, & the rest of the wires are
in order in a clock wise direction 8 4 3 6 5 7 2
Rich

·
Chevy to the death!
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for your help :) It is greatly appreciated!! I timed it right, it was the valve lash was the issue, it was WAY too tight. I'm young and still learning, I thought I followed the engine manual but I suppose I did not!!! The Hemi Hunter fired right up, now for exhaust!! Thank you all so much again,
Jake

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.