Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 86 Chevy c10 pickup, I just put in a new motor and did away with all the emission crap from the old one engine. The tranny has electrical connections on it for the lockup, i cant find a computer in the truck, what controls the tranny? I also have a 5 pin module in the distributor with an additional 4 prong connector coming out the distrubtor besides the normal 12v wire and two prong connector that plugs in the cap. Does that 4 prong connector have anything to do with the tranny? many thanks mike K. you can email me at [email protected]

·
Registered
82 Posts
The TH350 is a lock up convertor only. No overdrive. The computer does control the trans thru a plug on the side of the case, above the shift linkage. Computer should be inside, under dash on passengers side.

The 4 pin plug on dist if for computer control of timing advance., not related to transmission.

·
Premium Member
2,233 Posts
The "computer" in these vehicles is nearly useless as far as "really" controlling what is going on with the engine, if it is carbureted-even less, and if standard- even less yet.

The GM (computer),or ECM (electronic control module) didn't play a major role in the operation of much of anything until TBI and TPI fuel injection came into play in the early to mid 80's.

My 1981 Malibu has the first generation of "computer or ECM" and according to the sales literature I have on my car and the Haynes,and Chiltons manuals I have on it, the Computer Command Control module has no realistic idea of what is going on inside my engine.

I have changed a few things and forgot to hook things up that would give the doomsday alarm on my 2000 Impala, and it had little to no effect in the performance of the 81.

You can hook the converter lock-up to function with a simp[le toggle switch or put together a kit to replicate the many different versions sold of the "converter lock-up wiring harness kit".

1 - 3 of 3 Posts