Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15,298 Posts
All of that and a cam. The whole problem with a 305 is it is as costly to build as a 350 for 50 less foot pounds and horsepower out of the same parts. It’s worth a few hundred more to find a decent 350 and build on it. Actually a 350 with Vortec head’s and cam timing around 220 degrees intake at .050 lift it’s easy to build a very streetable 400 horse engine.

A 330 horse 305 is built the same way, but you don’t get as much bang for your buck because the small bore restricts valve flow in and out. Since you can’t change that because it is a function of how close the valves sit to the bore wall your just stuck with spending the big bucks and not getting commensurate power increase the 4 inch bore blocks deliver. The only way to make that better is to supercharge the engine to use more pressure to force the breathing up above what atmospheric pressure can do.

Bogie

·
More for Less Racer
20,929 Posts
I have a 305 sbc 2bl out of a 1975 Camaro what would I need in order to make 330 hp vortec heads, hooker headers, Edelbrock carb/intake?
Use the L30, Vortec 305 heads, casting 059. Would be a better fit to keep compression up since they keep a 58cc chamber size, and they flow nearly as good.

Still going to be a tall order to get above 1 hp/cubic inch due to the small bore.

On a low budget, 350 stroked to 383 is a lot smarter choice in a porky pig '75 Camaro, those are the heaviest Camaro's ever built until the 2007's came out. You need torque.

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
6,303 Posts
By the time you spend $250 on parts for the 305, you're way better off finding a running 350 for $250. Dropping in a running 350 will get you way more bang-for-buck than spending the same money on trying to get a 305 to breathe.

The whole "it's what I have" thing doesn't apply to the 305/350 choice.

·
Registered
1979 Chevrolet Malibu 496-TH400-9" (cruiser). 1992 Chevrolet S10 355-700r4-7.625" (daily driver).
240 Posts
Yep. 350>305. Spend a few bucks now or regret it later. A running 5.7 Vortec + 4 barrel intake and carb + HEI distributor = 300+ gross horsepower. As Bogie mentioned, 400 horsepower is just a few simple upgrades away.

Reading the previous replies largely reinforces the fact that we are all hot rodders to the core. I love the fact that a recommendation on a 305 quickly evolved to a stroked big block by post #3. That "bang for your buck" idea is why my '79 Malibu has a 496. When the 4.3 in my daily driver '92 S10 gave up the ghost at 381,000 miles, it was going to cost about the same to rebuild the vortec 350 I had. I don't think anyone needs to guess to figure out which one was going to happen. 12 daily driving years later and next weekend comes an oil change because it is due when the odometer reads 559,000 miles. When this set up gets tired and I need to look at .040 pistons, you can understand the same way I do, that post #4 is going to happen. Stroker crankshaft.

Be careful Squares! This hobby becomes an obsession without even realizing it. We are all a little crazy and I freaking love it!

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
A 305 and power are not synonymous in NA form. It needs boost for a daily driver or nitrous if you want to run it at the track.

A big block? Hell yeah, that will get it done as well. But the minimum requirement for a reasonable power gain is a Vortec 350.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Use the L30, Vortec 305 heads, casting 059. Would be a better fit to keep compression up since they keep a 58cc chamber size, and they flow nearly as good.
That plus a moderate cam, small 4bbl, and headers would probably get you 250-275 hp at the flywheel, which would be a lot more than stock.

Also, you should google "Chevy L69 305" to see what the L69 used for heads, compression ratio, and cam. I think it was the hottest non-EFI 305 that Chevy made. They even called it the H.O. option (high output). Of course, that's a relative term! Good article here: https://oldcarmemories.com/1983-1988-chevrolet-l69-5-0-liter-305-cid-h-o-v8-a-genuine-1980s-legend/ Horsepower and torque numbers are SAE net.

·
Registered
365 Posts

Still going to be a tall order to get above 1 hp/cubic inch due to the small bore.

On a low budget, 350 stroked to 383 is a lot smarter choice in a porky pig '75 Camaro, those are the heaviest Camaro's ever built until the 2007's came out. You need torque.
It always baffled me why the 2nd gen F-bodies and mustang for that matter got kinda heavy and larger around then? (i'm like Anna Muccioli ).

·
More for Less Racer
20,929 Posts
It always baffled me why the 2nd gen F-bodies and mustang for that matter got kinda heavy and larger around then? (i'm like Anna Muccioli ).
Government mandated safety features.....5 mph bumpers, door guard internal crash beams, etc.... in combination with noise reduction material constantly being added as manufacturers continued to lessen the impact of NVH on the "driver experience" (Noise/Vibration/Harshness).

There is at least 200 lbs of excess weight in the F-body just from the 5 mph impact / no sheetmetal damage bumper shock absorber apparatus used.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts