Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Iam try to build a 350 4bolt(orange print) out of atruck, I got a 750 Edelbrock Holley with Wei end intake. I need to know the rest(heades, cam size, pistons size, rods disributors, wires, timing)What should I keep as stock? to bulid a street & week end fun say a (350HP) rat. This will be fit a 74 camero with 4 speed manual(stock) & stock rear end.
I will be very gratefull

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thsi is my setup that is supposed to make around 350hp. use stock heads with 1.94intake,1.60 exhaust(roughly) or a pair of 2.02 heads. flat top pistons,need compression around 9:5:1 or a bit higher. stock rods, caps etc. Cam-lift-.498 roughly, depends on what you like, but the engine needs to breath as well as possible. A cam this size will require heavier valve springs(any performance brand with a dual spring design)Edelbrock performer intake, a good pair of headers at least 1 5/8 primary's and 3in collectors. your 750 should work nicely. if i've left any thing out just ask, well have to compare reswults after they're both running.
happy engine building.
79monte :D

·
Registered
78 Posts
If you really want to be strong and reliable, best improve your performance through your heads. It's amazing how much horsepower you gain just by moving up to 2.02 heads. That way you don't have to shove an oversized camshaft in creating the need to further beef up your valve train. You could use the factory LT-1 camshaft, it has a .450 lift, and buy a set of Edelbrock, World Product, or Dart heads. The factory LT-1 was rated at 350HP, but it had an 11 to 1 compression ratio. With the improved flow of these after market heads, you should be able to see the same figures with less compression. I know they seem pricey (actually for what you get outta' them they aren't), but to get horsepower it always takes money. If you really intend to have fun driving it, stay away from the extreme stuff.

·
Registered
44 Posts
He's right, although .450 dousen't sound as cool, it's a huge gain over stock, and the heads are worth every dollar, but do some shoppin to find the best deal possible. Summit, Jegs, and PAW are a good place to start looking for sale and normally low prices.
79monte :cool:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I dont Know about anyone else but i've never heard of a holley edlebrock combo carb and for future reference a "rat" is a big block not a 350

1 - 5 of 5 Posts