Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Glad the Jeep is on the road
809 Posts
Kultulz' provided link with the easy giveaways. There are casting number differences but they are not as easy to see as what he has provided. Plus there are a lot of different 351W casting numbers due to the long life of the engine.

The Cleveland heads are visibly bigger.

·
I need a bucket of arc sparks
895 Posts
The easiest way for myself to tell the difference between a 351W and 351C by glance is to look at the thermostat housing. The Windsor thermostat housing is bolted onto the intake the Cleveland is bolted onto the block.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had a 73 Mach 1 with a 351 Cleveland that I later added 4-V closed chamber heads to and a 73 Cougar XR7 with a 351 Cleveland with open chamber 4-V heads. I never had a windsor motor but I think the bolts to mount the fuel pump on a Cleveland are vertical , or one above the other like the start and stop of the letter C and on a windsor they are horizontal or across from each other like the start and stop of the letter W. ccnova

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
engine ID

The fuel pump is a good indicator as CCNova mentioned. The fuel pump bolts on a Cleveland are vertical and on the Winsor, horizontal.
The big problem is most of the time you cant see the fuel pump on a lot of engines due to all the power robbing goodies that bury the engine.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
a fly in the ointment

The M block which is a dirivitive of the Cleveland looks just like it externally. The main givaway is that its a lot bigger, 9.2 deck height for the Cleveland vs 10.3 for the M (Midland or Modified) block.
Im sorry I dont have the exact intake manifold width differences to give you, but if memory serves me correctly, the Cleveland intake will be about 11 inches wide while the M block will be about 13 inches wide. That should be close enough to give you the idea.

And please, lets not get in a debate about whether the M block is a good engine or not, I mearly brought it up for matters of identification.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
The clevland heads will have a 2 or a 4 on the corner near the valve cover rail. A 400 will have an M and a 351 M will have nothing.
There were some guys using Clevland heads on the Windsors buy doing some modifications to the water passages. I don't remember if there was an intake ever made to fit the engine or not tho.
The Clevlands were a good breathing engine but unless you live in Austrailia, I would forget them and go with the Windsor. The clevland blocks were all too thin to start with and now they have been around a while most will need bored out. Even a .030 bore is more than most of them can safely handle.

·
Glad the Jeep is on the road
809 Posts
Re: a fly in the ointment

Max Keith said:
And please, lets not get in a debate about whether the M block is a good engine or not, I mearly brought it up for matters of identification.
Aw come on, its been at least a week since the last one.....

willowbilly3 said:
The Clevlands were a good breathing engine but unless you live in Austrailia, I would forget them and go with the Windsor. The clevland blocks were all too thin to start with and now they have been around a while most will need bored out. Even a .030 bore is more than most of them can safely handle.
The local motorheads I know (remember I work in a Ford engine factory) all favor either a 302 stroker or a 351W. The factory windsor had lousy heads, but the aftermarket Windsor heads are better than Clevelands, with less engine weight. They won't look at a 400 or a 460 unless it's for a truck, becuase of the weight.

I report their prejudice, not defend it....

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Clevors

Back in the 80's and early 90's til companies started putting out decent heads for the Winsor, building Clevors was a neat trick. There was a company in Arkansas called B&A Performance that made both aluminum and iron intakes in both dual and single plunums for using the cleveland heads on the 302 and 351W.
I just sold a set of KW hypereutectic pistsons, flattops, 30 over, for a 351W that were made specifically for the swap. Until all the new heads came out in the aftermarket, a Clevor was the hot way to go, even though it added 40 lbs to the engine package.

And I will still contend that the 400 M is a very overlooked engine, particularly the later 70's and early 80's versions, after they got the core shifting problems settled down in block casting.
The biggest problem was they shared the same oiling system design as the Cleveland, but that could be remedied with a 5 3/8ths and 5 3/16ths roll pins, drivin into #2-5 mains oiling passages going to the cam bearings and the lifter gallery oil passage from # 5 main.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I always look at the area where the distributor mounts into the block.The cleveland/400M has a large flat area around the distributor and the windsor has only enough of a flat area to put a bolt in to hold the dristributor in the block.
What is harder to tell apart is a 289/302 from a 351W. Everyone thinks they are the same but there are very few major parts that interchange.Cranks,rods,pistons,timing sets,intakes,oil pans,head bolts............you get the idea.......don't interchange,even the Y-pipe on many models wont fit between the 302 and 351W,because of the deck height on the windsor being much taller than the 289/302 engine and as the "V" 8 engine grows taller it also grows wider, almost a full 1" wider on the 351W more than a 289/302.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
351 W vs 351 C

The difference in the rocker covers is the easiest way to tell the difference.
The 351W uses the same rocker covers as the 302, which angle inward toward the carburetor with the bottom and top being parallel, and the Cleveland rocker covers are completely rectangular on the gasket base.

The interchangeable parts on the 351 W and the FSB are the front timing cover, timing gears and chain, camshafts, heads(with valves, springs. rocker arms) and exhaust manifolds. The crucial problem is that to use the FSB heads on a 351W require that you drill out the head bolt holes to 1/2 inch from 7/16ths.

·
Troll Hunter
2,694 Posts
An easy way to determine whether it is a Cleveland or an M (351 or 400) is right at the dist. On a Cleveland the top of the block ( at the manifold surface behind the dist) is almost flush with the dist mount, on the M series engines it is raise about and inch and creates a small lip. The same goes for a 351W and a 289/302.

·
Registered
167 Posts
All the posts on this thread have true ways to determine a cleveland from a windsor BUT, you have to know these things and remember all these things before you check the engine out. For the NOVICE, the easiest way is to look at the spark plug. No having to remember if this seats flat or if the valve covers are what shape. What's easier than reaching down and pulling a plug wire off and checking the size plug. A Cleveland has small peanut plugs while the Windsor has the larger 13/16 plugs. Sometimes simple questions just need simple answers. duh okay?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.