Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having an issue with my belts. I have a 68 351 W and I am no longer going to be using the power steering pump.

Originally I have the alt and the crankshaft in line with one another and running off the same belt.

Then we HAD the power steering pump and the water pump ( which has only one groove ) and the rear V on the crankshaft pulley working together.

At this point I have nothing driving the water pump.

I am guessing that the water pump may need a pulley with two grooves in it ?

Any ideas on what original application may have had this set-up.

I am not building a show vehicle. I am building a driver and am scrounging all of my parts through the local salvage yards.

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
There are sooooooo many combinations of Ford drive/accessory pulleys available that have been used - even on same model/year and with the same accessories that it would be almost impossible to "guess" what would work - and that vintage is right in the worst of Ford adventures with brackets and pulleys. The ONLY thing that will work will be a trip to a salvage yard, start looking at engines. You can use almost any Ford engine, but probably stay with 302/351s - as long as you have the right crank pulley - 3 or 4 bolt, depending on your particular engine (yep - been there with 351W Ford engines of that vintage:sweat::sweat:)

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Ford accessory systems

Fords are a night mare , scrambled parts. When I was an engineer at Ford in California we used to have a lot of parts shortages during the winter months, the heavy snow in the Sierra Nevada mountains would stall freight trains, Trucks would try to use the shorter Route 80 instead of going thru Las Vegas.Sometimes the donnor pass would be closed to trucks and when opened again the trucks would have to chain up everything except the front tires. The Resident engineer in charge of power trains was always going thru the available inventory to find combinations that would work to keep the assembly line running.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been to the scrapyards, everything has been serpentine for a long time. I can google images of a 351 minus P.S and no A.C but not much info beyond that. Someone will hopefully have an application specific to what I am after

Scrapyards where I am crush everything after a few months so old stuff is not too be found

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
I have been to the scrapyards, everything has been serpentine for a long time. I can google images of a 351 minus P.S and no A.C but not much info beyond that. Someone will hopefully have an application specific to what I am after

Scrapyards where I am crush everything after a few months so old stuff is not too be found
You're NOT HEARING US!!!

Fords of the '60s-'80s - close to impossible to tell anyone what year or model a set of brackets or pulleys will match up. Go back and reread my post then timothale's And those junk yards that crush cars, yeah, those are near me too - well you will have to find one that specializes in older cars - and those are usually not on main roads and often just a farm field full of their cast off junkers.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im hearin you, eventually someone will come along and will read this post that maybe owns a 70 model ford somthinorother and it will not have P.S. on their car nor A.C and they will be able to help with some images/measurements and maybe some info on what I need to look out for.

Thanks for the tips though anyway

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.