are by engine family, Windsors, 335s, 385s, FEs, FTs,
MELs and Modular for the families we are interested
in. Now for the hard part, the late (post '65)Windsors
and 335 series engines share a common bore size and
spacing, meaning you can use the heads from a 335 on
a Windsor block, and vise-versa after preforming a few
modifications...

Oh, and the 351M has a 3.50" stroke, the FE352 also has
a 3.50" stroke, its the 400 that has a 4" stroke...

K
351M has a 4.00 inch stroke thats why its called 351modified400.........im a little disapointed in you

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
runn141 said:
351M has a 4.00 inch stroke thats why its called 351modified400.........im a little disapointed in you
HUNH! :rolleyes:

The 351M is a destroked 400 (notice no M). It was designed this way to replace the 351C for passenger car/light truck service.

For the FINAL TIME...

The W,C and M descriptions are meant to allow one to differentiate between the three engine series (actually two) with the same engine displacements. How the FE 352 got into this I will never know. It has no bearing on the discussion.

Please stick to your Ghetto Machines and stay away from a subject you have little obvious knowledge in.

This cannot be this confusing gentlemen... :confused:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Basically, the 400 was the same engine as a 351 cleveland, but with a one inch taller deck and larger main journals. Heads, cam, and pistons will interchange. The 351m is the same bore and stroke as a 351c, but in the taller decked (heavier) "400"block platform. This is what renders it a boat anchor. 351 clevelands are bigger than the 351 windsors, but most think the clevelands' head designs negate the windsors' weight advantage. If a person made a clevor with the new edelbrock aluminum cleveland heads, they would have a screamer on their hands. :evil:

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
mtnmankev said:
Now I'm confused. Will a 400 bolt to my AOD tranny ??
YOU'RE CONFUSED!?

I can't understand as how many times this has been explained here that there are still questions... :pain:

The 351M/400 has the 429/460 bell mounting pattern and the AOD (SBF pattern) will not go against it without an adaptor. The AOD will go to the 351C as it has the SBF bell pattern.

·
I need a bucket of arc sparks
895 Posts
You can run a sb Ford tranny on a 400 if you find the ultra rare 1973 400 block that has both sb Ford and 351M and 400 bellhousing cast into it. Otherwise you have to use a 351M-400 or a 429-460 transmission.

·
Troll Hunter
2,694 Posts
A regular encylopedia of engines here,WOW.... M,C,W,FE, and no one has even mentioned the M.E.L. or the Y,FT and oooooh wait, I was getting dizzy there. Is Ford really communicating with alien beings in these weird coded engine Families??? I saw it on a site somewhere. :D

I'm outta here, my only post on this... I can be seen over in the other thread, every Evening....first drinks are half price.... :thumbup:

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
KULTULZ said:
HUNH! :rolleyes:

The 351M is a destroked 400 (notice no M). It was designed this way to replace the 351C for passenger car/light truck service.

For the FINAL TIME...

The W,C and M descriptions are meant to allow one to differentiate between the three engine series (actually two) with the same engine displacements. How the FE 352 got into this I will never know. It has no bearing on the discussion.

Please stick to your Ghetto Machines and stay away from a subject you have little obvious knowledge in.

This cannot be this confusing gentlemen... :confused:
Amen brother, preach on, Amen. :thumbup:

·
Troll Hunter
2,694 Posts
460 engines fit, so there should be little or no problems. They are about the same width as a 460 and a little shorter. Headers and mounts will be the only things that may need to be fabbed, although the 400 and 460 mounts may be the same. Room isn't a problem.

·
Banned
211 Posts
I could just see all the bent face looks and "why did you do that?" questions if someone popped the hood on a mustang with one of those warmed over 400's sitting in the engine bay. I have a hard time believing the wives tales that a warmed over 400 for street duty is no good. I believe that 400 has the longest stroke of any Ford V8 produced pre mod engine.

·
Glad the Jeep is on the road
809 Posts
QuenchPiston said:
I could just see all the bent face looks and "why did you do that?" questions if someone popped the hood on a mustang with one of those warmed over 400's sitting in the engine bay. I have a hard time believing the wives tales that a warmed over 400 for street duty is no good. I believe that 400 has the longest stroke of any Ford V8 produced pre mod engine.
Being different is part of the fun. And the 400 was fun in a car, my dad had a 73 Ford with a 400 that I loved to borrow. The guys on the truck boards have some good 400 tips.

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
I find it interesting to note that there are at least 6 different series of Chevy engines...... not even counting the newer LS type.

Chevy guys understand Chevys. Ford guys understand Fords.

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
No, if a STOVEBOLT enthusist makes an off the wall statement, all is good.

We make a statement about a GHETTO MACHINE and the whole damn board comes down on you.

It's as simple as this, if you don't care for FORD...read another thread. There are plenty of posters that needs help on this GM crap it seems. I very seldomly read anything else but FORD so I don't bother anyone. If you think you need to be cute, go show your butt to your fifteen year old girlfriend... :spank:

21 - 40 of 79 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.