Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
need some help from u ford guys,
i,m helping a buddy figure this out . he's got a 351w stroker motor thats chewing up dist. gears. had local speed shop build this thing and he's had
nothing but trouble out of it. not sure what cam they put in it, he's tried a stock dist. and a proform hei dist. the proform has got alot of slop in it sitting in the dist hole and it keeps jumping teeth. my opinion on it is either machine shop put the wrong cam in it or the dist. gear is to small. thanx in advance for any help.

·
Troll Hunter
2,694 Posts
I have seen a bunch of worn cam gears in the last couple months. It turns out that the shop building the engines was not matching the dist. gear to the cam, stock gear as opposed to a roller gear. With the play you mention something doesn't sound right, 289/302 dist in a 351? It would be a long reach, but the gears would have plenty of play.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thx for the reply,
the dist gear is what is getting chewed up. the dist part # traces back to
fit a 351w. i was thinking maybe the cam was wrong. thx again

·
Troll Hunter
2,694 Posts
I think this was brought up in another thread, but is the thrust plate installed??? If a builder is more Chevy oriented, they may be unaware of the cam thrust plate that prevents the cam from moving, this could also give the inpression there is a lot of "play" in the gears. Chevy's don't run the plate and it could be assembled without it...I have seen it more than once.

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
johnsquicks10 said:
need some help from u ford guys,
i,m helping a buddy figure this out . he's got a 351w stroker motor thats chewing up dist. gears. had local speed shop build this thing and he's had
nothing but trouble out of it. not sure what cam they put in it, he's tried a stock dist. and a proform hei dist. the proform has got alot of slop in it sitting in the dist hole and it keeps jumping teeth. my opinion on it is either machine shop put the wrong cam in it or the dist. gear is to small. thanx in advance for any help.
Cam and distributor gear must be compatible metals. Roller cams take different gears.

If a new Proform has so much slop that it is jumping teeth.... that is an incorrect gear for sure. If it has the cam thrust plate installed properly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts