Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am building a '35 Ford pick up with a 1986 351 W. I was wanting to change it over to a serpentine belt for fan clearance. I was wondering if anyone has attempted this before? Would like to run a short water pump with a mechanical fuel pump. Was not sure what front cover, damper pulley or water pump to use. Any help on this would be appreciated.
Thanks,
john35

·
Troll Hunter
2,694 Posts
I believe the later 351W in pick ups were serpentine and there are a few conversions avaialble. I haven't tried it but a 5.0 system should be easily adaptable as well. You would need to open the pump hole and make sure there is an eccentric on the cam for a mechanical pump. I'll have to look at the 5.0 in the shop, it may be too tight to get a mechanical pump on, but I don't think so.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
serpentine belt

I would also recommend running an electric radiator fan as well, in lieu of the water pump driven job. This will clear up a lot of space between the radiator and the front of the engine, as well as free up a few HP. It can take anywhere from 10-30 HP to turn a fan mounted on your water pump, and the higher the RPM, the more power it robs.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Interchange Parts

All the front accessories with the exception of the PS & AC bracket from any later model 5.0 (easiest are 87 - 93) will bolt right on, except you need the Ford spacer for behind the crank pulley. Or, as mentioned above, there were several years of 351 engines in light trucks (pickups vans) with serpentine setups. As for front cover, there are "universal" covers available pretty reasonable that work with later model reverse rotation water pumps but also have the fuel pump boss on them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts