Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1974 Ford Galaxie 500. I believe it has a 351 Windsor in it. Does anybody know the stock horsepower rating. I was thinking of pulling the motor and building it up, just to learn about engine rebuilding. I might even put a little punch in it. Is that particular engine worth messing with? I Paid 50 bucks for the whole can and it runs. Thanks for you input

·
brains
1,009 Posts
Heck yeah, those 69-74 blocks are getting hard to find. Its certainly worth keeping for building big power. They have thicker webbing and a higher nickel content. Good deal. Perfect choice for building a 408, 427 stroker. You need to check the casting number on the block it may be a 72 or 73 which is better because in 74 they started dropping the high nickel content
As for the Horsepower, the most the 351w ever made stock was 250hp. But I think the 74 was less, i want to say 195 or 210, I will check my book tonight.

Good luck

Ben

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I've been wanting to rebuild an engine and maybe learn a thing or two. The price was pretty good. I could probably get 20 bucks for the body, if I scrap it. I'm not sure what car I'll put it in after its done, but I'm sure there will many more project cars to do. Cant hurt to have a stand-by.

·
Registered
864 Posts
brainsboy said:
Heck yeah, those 69-74 blocks are getting hard to find. Its certainly worth keeping for building big power. They have thicker webbing and a higher nickel content. Good deal. Perfect choice for building a 408, 427 stroker. You need to check the casting number on the block it may be a 72 or 73 which is better because in 74 they started dropping the high nickel content
As for the Horsepower, the most the 351w ever made stock was 250hp. But I think the 74 was less, i want to say 195 or 210, I will check my book tonight.

Good luck

Ben
168 for hp in my book

i have a 74 351W, should i be looking for a 73 to start a buildup instead?

·
brains
1,009 Posts
Dubz said:
168 for hp in my book

i have a 74 351W, should i be looking for a 73 to start a buildup instead?

Wow that low eh? Its been some time since I looked up the old numbers, I didnt realize they were so low for 74. No nothing wrong with the 74 block at all, I hope I didnt make it seem that way. If you plan of pushing your block to its max then I would suggest a 69-70 and also check the thickness by the cam journals. The nickel content cutting down wasnt too drastic in 74 so it shouldnt make a huge difference.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts