Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1973 351C.......stock 351C 2V motor.......except that i installed the Pertronix Ignitor electronic igniton module and i set the intial timing to 10 enstead of the stock 6.......anyways ........yesterday on the way home........the motor straight out flat-lined on me........didnt putter then die or hesitate or anything.....just shut right off immediately without any warning........started her back up and she flat lined again......i check all connection at the coil and regulator and selenoid for that matter and all are good and tight.......checked the cap and rotor for cracks aswell....none..........im thinking its the ignition module.......or worse the distributor.....even if i sit and rev it in park it runs like hell........could this be the module or possible a carb problem?.....any help at all or suggestions would be ever so appreciated.......lets help keep this income-troubled college student and his faithful steed goin, how bout it?..THANKS AGAIN

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
351C

DO you have another coil you could put on it and try? I had that happen to me a couple times, once with a new coil, it just went dead on me. Coils can develope cracks in the insulation in the insulation betweene the wires inside, grounding out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
so it flatlined on ya while driving...now it runs again...only like crap. From what I've seen the module quits fast...for good. Maybe fuel press/filter/regulator or low alternator/battery voltage or a bad coil, bad coils sometimes work until they get hot again, then no worky again.

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
I wouldn't rule out the module. While they tend to quit for good, I have seen some instances where they continue to barely function. Have it tested at your local store. Have them run the test about 12 times to get it hot. They normally begin to fail when it gets hot.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well it doesnt exactly "work" again...........it seems to me that if i reach a certain higher rpm it just flat lines.........when i was on the freeway.........it was backfiring like crazy then died about 4 times before i made it home.........hmm...........i dont know about the heat thing affecing the module.......when it dies........i can and it does start right back up and then runs again for a lil then dies..........i noticed if i put some good load on it ...it dies......so i dont know..........maybe its the cheapo coil i got from autozone........lets just hope so........any other thoughts are appreciated........THANKS AGAIN GUYS

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Fuel

Doc here:pimp:

Check your fuel filter, and pump pressure/volume ,sounds like it's failing or restricting fuel under load.[lean condition]

That notwithstanding, Check your timing for jumped Chain...#1 tower,TDC, compression,both Valves closed, mark on the line on the balancer...

Either one of these will cause the problem you described.

Doc :pimp:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Have you tried putting a set of points back in and see if it'd run right? Wouldn't be the first time I've heard of the Petronix module takin' a dump in the middle of a drive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts