Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read a few posts on oil filters with a bypass? what exactly does it do and should a 351 Cleveland have an oil filter with or without the bypass valve? I know there are some issues with the 351 oiling itself correctly so does one help out either way or the other? thanks
Shane

·
Registered
721 Posts
The by pass filters are used mostly with high pressure/volume pumps to prevent the higher pressure from blowing the filter seal or even poping a seam in the filter can. The theory is that all the oil will pass thru the filter often enough to keep it clean. I've also heard that if the filter becomes clogged the filter will also by pass, but am not sure of this fact. The Clevelands can benifit from higher oil volume/pressure pumps and a by pass filter along with other proven oiling system mods.:thumbup:

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
BY-PASS means the filter has a relief valve that will block off the filter if there is excessive oil pressure (filter rupture) or if the filter becomes clogged (loss of oil supply to engine). DRAIN BACK VALVE keeps oil in the filter after shut-down to prevent dry start-ups.

The 335 Series does have oil supply problems but on a street engine are inconsequential (unless you are a detail nut).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts