Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok 1973 351C 2V stock except for the pertronix ignitor ignition module..........still havent got to the bottom of things........it will idle fairly well but getting it to start and stay running is another thing, i rebuilt the carb a while back and now it seems like an ignition problem........when i bring up the rpm's when its in park....it stumbles/runs unevenly and pops out of the exhaust........i replaced the plugs and messed with the timing so im leaning towards the ignition module as the problem? Any help at all will be greatly appreciated as usuall........im counting on you guys:)THANKS

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
351C problems again

Was it sputtering and stuttering prior to the carb rebuild? If the ignition was working fine prior to that, Im thinking possibly your floats are set too low, and you are running out of gas.

What are you running for initial advance? What is your total advance?

What about your firing order, you might want to go through and check that again.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no it was no its not exactly sputtering..........the rpms increase, decrease, increase, decrease as i apply throttle but when i let off the throttle it idles pretty well........i checked the wet float level and its at where the book says it should be......initial advance was 8 and total advance is anyones guess......firing order was not touched but ill check again......it never did this before or after i rebuilt the carb, it just started to occur a week ago or so.....

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
351C problems again

Since Im not the worlds greatest on these new ignition systems with little black boxes etc, I would recommend finding someone that has the proper equipment to check it out.

You might want to check your cap over though. It could be as simple as a cracked cap. which the ignition spark has been known to take that route vs the spark plug wires on occasions, when compression made the resistance too high for the plug to fire.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts