Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a FREE 351C with an FMX tranny bolted to it, the claim is it runs, but I would go through it. I am new to it all is this a good motor swap for my trashed 302 in my 68 Galaxie ?

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
It's ok, and will take the C-4 also. If you can swap it easier and cheaper than fixing the 302, go for it. It should be a straight drop-in for the 302. Same mounts, etc.

Depending on which year it is, it probably has the low compression open chamber heads common to 2 bbl engines. No power house because of the low compression, and somewhat detonation prone. IMO. Parts are higher.

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
X is fast :thumbup:
If it is in fact a cleveland with an FMX, the mounts should bolt up, if you want to use your current trans the bell housing will fit also. I think the FMX and c4 use the same mount and driveshaft yoke, but I'm not 100% sure .

The exhaust manifolds are totally different as are most of the accessory drive brackets and pullys, so if you can get the motor with all of that stuff on it already you will be saving alot of grief.

Make sure that your water pump inlet is on the same side, they make a rh and a lh for the windsor type motors, but the clevelands only have a driver's side inlet as far as I know.

I don't think there are any issues with clearance with shock towers on that galaxie, so you should be good to go. :thumbup:

You might want to think about a bigger radiator also. Clevelands want as much radiator as you can give them.

Later, mikey

·
Registered
307 Posts
Hey bill here ..
well... from expiriance on my cleavland and fmx.. i wouldn't even bother with the fmx.. some guys like em.. i say garbage... but do what you will.. you will be able to turn a c4 way quicker meaning less power loss to the back wheels. After i finnished off my Fmx and learned that after-markett parts are hard to comeby and more expencive, i went all out on a C6. Now i think i could have built a C4 for about the same money and seen more rwhorsepower. C6's can take a rugged beating but are heavy and "suck" power. And for Xntrik... hehehe ive laid a harsh beating on my cleavland and no problems yet(about 10-15,000k). Im not totaly sure about clearance issues but i do know on the fairlain cougar mustang the cleavland fits forsure but is a tighter fit on account of those baheemouth heads.
hope this helps
keep me in the know , not much cleavland talk these days
good luck

bill

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
[QUOTE="70" Cougar]Hey bill here ..

. And for Xntrik... hehehe ive laid a harsh beating on my cleavland and no problems yet(about 10-15,000k).

good luck

bill[/QUOTE]

A 70 Cleveland/Cougar is substantially different cat than a 74 Torino 4 dr. with a 2 bbl and FMX. We don't know what HE has besides a 4200 pound car.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right now I have total confusion........
My options are

Buy a new 302 block $?
Buy a used running 302 from a friend no tranny $400
Use the free 351C with FMX unknown if it runs been sitting 4 years out of car
Buy a 302 and AOD tranny out of a running 86 Ecnoline van for $800
Buy a 351/400 modified engine with the tranny $350
Or a 351 windsor that has a nice set of GT40 heads and a Victor Junior intake- price not known yet

I have decided I do not want to keep the 3 speed tranny I have

My goal is 350-400 hp with an AOD perhaps a gear change in the 9" rear
I am not looking for a drag car just some muscle to play but will stand up to daily driver status

I have even thought about a chevy 350 just because it's easier and cheaper
here in South Carolina no inspection no winter means every car is run until it dies a horrible death 302 blocks are not a dime a dozen here like in New York where I'm from

·
Registered
13 Posts
If I were you I would either buy the 351 windsor or the cleveland dont bother with a 351m/400 their junk a 302 would be nice also but if horsepower is what you going for eiter the windsor or clevland would be the suitable choice. Clevlands can really put out the horse but are pretty spendy to build I prefer the windsor because they dont have low end parts problems as much as a cleveland and they twist harder plus if you can get that windsor at a resonable price it sounds like it's already built pretty well so that would probably be my choice I hoped I helped or im probably already to late but good luck

·
Registered
307 Posts
quoted"
Clevlands can really put out the horse but are pretty spendy to build I prefer the windsor because they don't have low end parts problems as much as a cleveland.
how so .. what parts go? im very intrigued

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.