Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Pool Fool Extraordinaire
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had anyone seen the guy on YouTube that has a 351w block with a Chevy heads and intake? I'm not sure what to think of it, other than: why? But to each their own.
General thoughts on it? Love it? Hate it? Confused by it?
I applaud the effort and congratulate the success, by it ain't my cup of tea

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
It showcases how similar the SBF is to the LS based engines... The LS series is a superior engine of course, but it is argued if GM actually studied the Ford.. IIRC the LS engine went into development in the early 90's. Perhaps 1993? I can't remember

·
More for Less Racer
20,942 Posts
Even the smallest valve/port LS head is far, Far, FAR better than any stock small block Ford head.....and the bigger LS engine heads is equal or better than many of the available race heads for the SBF Windsor also.

Haven't seen one personally myself, outside a magazine article.

I don't have a problem with it......GM guys and nearly everybody else has been using the 9" Ford rear ends in their non-Ford cars for 50+ years now

·
Pool Fool Extraordinaire
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Even the smallest valve/port LS head is far, Far, FAR better than any stock small block Ford head.....
I don't participate in Chevy vs Ford wars, but the have been plenty of ford championship trophy's in racing.
I'll call your statement rumor and innuendo, but I do invite you to study the flow rate of the original boss 302 heads. I won't even mention the Ford gt-40. Oh wait... I just did.
Point being, American muscle is American muscle- Chevy vs Ford vs dodge is just pointless to me.
At the end of the day though, all 4 of my vehicles are Fords.

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
I don't participate in Chevy vs Ford wars, but the have been plenty of ford championship trophy's in racing.
I'll call your statement rumor and innuendo, but I do invite you to study the flow rate of the original boss 302 heads. I won't even mention the Ford gt-40. Oh wait... I just did.
Point being, American muscle is American muscle- Chevy vs Ford vs dodge is just pointless to me.
It is simply a better Engine than the SBF. Largely due to technology improvement. Boss 302 was basically a Cleveland top end on a 302. Good in it's day. If you really want to be blown away. Look at what Ford of Australia did... But still, the LS is superior.

·
More for Less Racer
20,942 Posts
I should have known a Ford guy would jump on this but.....

The 302 Boss is generally not considered a small block Ford typical head....rare to start with, Canted valve, not the typical tiny valve inline head as used on all other Windsor based engines.
And you can't just directly swap them onto any stock 302 or 351 W short block without making a bunch of other changes.
The GT-40 head really ain't all that good either....it barely flows what a stock Smog era SBC head flows.
Just look at the flow numbers of any inline valve Windsor head.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Cleveland head, it is a monster, especially on 393" and bigger builds.
A 400+ cubic inch Clevor in a early Maverick would be one of my dream Ford builds

Seems like Ford was always like this since the muscle era....the heads were either all conquering...or nothing.
Only the Boss and CJ/CobraJet stuff got good heads, everything else got nothing.
Even the 289 Hi-PO got crummy heads.

·
Pool Fool Extraordinaire
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've owned them all over the years. I'll stick with my blue oval. My Chevy small blocks were all very unimpressive, from the 305 that came in my 82 el Camino to the 327 in my 79 grand prix to the 350 in my 81 Z28. Contrast that with the 302 in my mustang, and the sbc was a dog. The 5.0 was way stronger than any of them and the only rods I've ever thrown were in sbc's. Never in a ford.
We all have our flavors, and your name tells yours, just like mine tells mine.
I respect GM and Mopar , I just don't own any.
On purpose.
This thread was about a ford block with Chevy heads. Just the fact that they bolt on tells you that Chevy copied the Ford head in design at the very least.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts