Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 351 Modified in my bronco right now I was wanting to take the 400 out of my 77 f250 because it runs better and has a lot more power anyone know if I am in for a headache? I know the 351m and 400 is practicallly the same but was told the oilpan and heads might cause a problem for me. The bronco has a c-6 tranny which If I am not mistaken will bolt right up. If anyone can help me I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
IF your 351m will fit so will the 400. No difference in external size of block. Everything that makes a 351m or 400 is internal. You can take a 351m and make it a 400 just by changing crank, rods and pistons or vice a versa.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info I will let everyone know how the swap turns out. That 400 is much faster than the 351m not sure what the vehicle wieght difference is between 77 f-250 and 81 bronco but I am hoping to see a large increase in performance.

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
Long tube headers really help a stock 400. Installing a '71 timing gear helps a lot also. The later model engines have the cam timing retarded. You probably need a new timing set anyway due to stretch.

Ford Guy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.