Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've aquired some 351W heads and I was wondering if it would be worth it to use them on my 302 I'm rebuilding. The intake ports are much bigger, but the valves are the same diameter. The combustion chambers on the 351 heads look smaller. I think they are from a smog motor as they have the air pump ports. The 302 came from a 72 Bronco which I believe had 9.0 compression, so I'm thinking the smaller chambers might be too much and it doesn't have air pump ports. The cooling ports are much bigger on the 351 heads and I would probably have to upgrade to a 351 intake. Is that all worth it or should I just use the stock 302 head. I'm building a very mild street motor no more that 5000 RPM and just looking to enhance performance. But it looks like using the 351 heads would give me a 302 port job for free. Both heads need new valves and springs anyway. Thanks for any ideas.

·
Banned
3,532 Posts
All you need to run a 351W head on a 302 is head bolt washers. The 302 intake will work. You have to make sure the cooling passages are correct also. There are two different types. One is in the middle above the combustion chamber, and the other type has one to the side.

·
Registered
210 Posts
You know the 302 heads are original to the 72 block?

Flip the 351w heads over, look under the intake ports, you will see a casting number that starts with a C, D, E or F...in total it should have four characters, possibly, a dash then one or two more.

If possible get the casting number off the 302 heads unless that engine is assembled of course.

A 351w intake will not fit a 302 no matter what heads you have on it.

Might wanna make certain the 351w heads are in fact larger, as you'll know once you post up the casting numbers. Lot of people think there is a difference between the 351w heads and 302, in reality the 302's received from a production perspective, more of the better flowing heads. In most cases the only difference between the 302 and 351w head of simillar engine years is the head bolt size, otherwise they are the same, there are exceptions.

Let us know what casting number(s) you find.

·
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, first off thank you for not telling me to just save my money and buy aftermarket heads. Not going to happen.

Second,
The 302 is from a 1972 Bronco 2V and the heads are C9TE that is the engine I want to build. If nothing else works, I'll just build it stock.

The 351 heads are from a mid seventies 05AE CA (only have heads)

I also have 289 heads 03AE from a 1964 Fairlane. That whole engine is on EBay, but if it doesn't sell, I could use those.

According to what I've found out, I think the Bronco heads are 63cc at 9.0 comp. The 289 heads are 54.5cc and the 351 heads are 60.4cc. I'm building a Tbucket so it will be reall light 1500-1800#'s and I'm not interested in building 6000+ RPM screamer. The rear gears are only 2.79, So I think I'll need as much tourqe as possible. Obviously on a budget, so what ever head I use is getting new standard valves and springs, that it. Accoring my chart the 289 heads would raise compression to 10.0 and the 351 heads would give me 9.3, but he 289 heads look real restrictive. Also, the 351 heads have smog ports. Maybe I'm better off with the 302 heads?

·
Registered
210 Posts
the 302 heads C9TE

58.2 cc combustion chambers

intake port 1.94 x 1.04
exhaust port 1.24 X 1.00

valves

1.78 / 1.45

According to what I have the 351w D5 heads should have the same port sizes and valve sizes as the C9 302 heads, except the 351w have 69cc combustion chambers.

I don't have any info on the 289 heads...the smaller chambers might put you at a higher compression ratio than you want...personally I might stick with the 302 heads.

later

1 - 5 of 5 Posts