Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building a '94 351W that's going into a '67 Fairlane coupe. The '94 oil pan (rear sump) isn't going to go by the cross member. I think I'm going to need a front sump pan for this. If someone out there has a 351W in a '66/'67 Fairlane I'd appreciate hearing from you on what oil pan you used and any details about the oil pump and pick-up changes that may have been required.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I had a '69 Fairlane with a 351W, it was front sump. It should work for the '66-67 too. New oil pans are fairly easy to find. Possibly one from a Mustang would be the same. I dropped a 351W into a '68 Mustang and the front sump was the answer.

·
More for Less Racer
19,372 Posts
I have a friend who I built a '69 4V Windsor for his '67 Fairlane 500. The pan you need is just a common 351W front sump pan, any 1970's 351W passenger car pan will be correct prior to 1979. Can't use a 260/289/302 pan due to the different size end rails of the pan where it fits over the rear main cap, the 351W has bigger bearing journals.
If this is a performance application, you will likely want to get an aftermarket pan that has better baffling in the sump, stock Ford pan has nothing for baffles at all. We used a stock pan, but fabbed and welded our own baffles mostly copying what is in a Milodon or Moroso street/strip pan.

Oil pumps are all the same between pans, only the pick-up lengths are different....you just need the common front sump pick-up to match the pan.
It will be a smart move to upgrade to an aftermarket oil pump driveshaft, the stock shaft is very spindly, made as cheaply as possible by Ford bean counters. Get a Ford MotorSport or similar HD drive

289/302 headers fit just fine but you'll need to heat the tubes at the collector and bend them outward to clear the bellhousing area if using a C6 trans, if using a C4 you don't need to modify the headers. He had 1-5/8" primary full length, I think they were Hookers IIRK.

Motor mounts are same as 289/302.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Eric,

As always, great feedback. I'll probably add baffling to a stock pan myself now that I know what pan I need. So, I should be good with any pickup that matches the year of the oil pan I get, yes? I've read that many aftermarket high volume pumps puts excessive strain on the distributor drive gear. Is that valid? I'll be running a T-5 and manual steering. Will I still need to modify the headers?

Thanks for responding.

·
More for Less Racer
19,372 Posts
Yeah, the Ford small block distributor gear really doesn't like high volume pumps due to the fact the teeth are half as wide as something like the Chevy gear. I've had fords shear the teeth and it ruins the cam at the same time because it eats the cam gear up.

I don't know about the header fit with the manual trans bellhousing, I don't know how it compares with the big C-6 automatic bellhousing shape. I know the flexplate for the C-6 is the bigger diameter of the two ford sizes for the small block.

We converted hos '67 from power to manual steering as well. Prior to the 351W/C-6 combo the car had been 289 and 302 with 4-speed Toploader, mechanical linkage clutch, large flywheel and Lakewood steel blowproof bell with the exact same set of headers....but we had to heat and bend them to clear that big ole C-6 lower bellhousing corners when we swapped that in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts