Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for advice, i am thinking about stroking my 351w to 392.
the class i run in requires a 4412 carb and stock exhaust manifolds.
do you guys think it would be a wast of time and money or worth doing.
the cheapest kit i can find is almost &1000.00 plus any machine workand gaskets.
thanks for any and all input on this.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i do have to run stock heads, no port work allowed so i am using the 1969 heads but the lower end is a early 80's with the dished pistons. I have found a good block and am thinking of going to a flat top hyper piston of some kind.
any advice on pistons. thanks for all input, i have got the best replies on this bulletin board than any of the engine tech ones or the racing ones.

·
More for Less Racer
20,943 Posts
If your stuck be rules with the stock heads, the '69's are the best you will get unless the rules will allow the GT-40P head from the Explorer. With a limited head the stroker now makes more sense, you won't have to rev it as hard and it will pull harder off the corners. I personally don't like the hyper pistons in anything that will be run hard or hot, I've seen too many explode and send the rod through the block. Kieth Black makes several new FORGED 351W pistons in the FHR line that are only about $150 dollars more than the hypers.

Will rules allow bigger valves?? The chevy 1.94" intake and 1.5" exhaust are a nice upgrade in the c9 heads and fit nicely, done that before. What kind of cam rules are you dealing with??

351W truck rods are a plus because of the shape of the head bolt pad cut.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
do you think the gt40p is a better head than the older head, i have had some conflicting info on this. a friend wanted to give me a set and i passed on them, i didn't think my exhaust manifolds would work.
when you put the bigger valves in did you have to cut the heads for bigger seats. the cam rule is veg, has to idle Farley smooth at 650 rpm and i think they say no more than 450 lift, i'll have to look it up but that what i think it is.
if i can find my cam card i'll post it if you don't mind and tel me what you think. i am Farley competitive but there are to chevys that pull me at the end of the straights.
I can grind valves and seats, do have some stuff to replace seats but have never done it, any way sorry for the long post but thank you for helping.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.