Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to know what is the Ford application (car, truck, van, or...) the water pump was used for having a small block 351W where the water inlet (lower) radiator hose goes towards the left (Driver side).

The reason I choose this model pump is because it matched the '57 Ford radiator lower hose connection in my project. My problem is finding an alternator and power steering (May mount to the head) bracket which mounts to the pump. The alternator bracket I have and everything I see is for the other SM Ford water pump which goes in the opposite direction.

So my question is which Ford models did a driver side lower radiator hose inlet be used on?

Thx in advance, r

P.S. Next time I'm buying the complete motor instead of a short block; Lesson learned. It has been a trip rounding up parts and not knowing if the car had white walls and interior color. You guys know the drill at the parts house.

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
RAW said:
I need to know what is the Ford application (car, truck, van, or...) the water pump was used for having a small block 351W where the water inlet (lower) radiator hose goes towards the left (Driver side).

The reason I choose this model pump is because it matched the '57 Ford radiator lower hose connection in my project. My problem is finding an alternator and power steering (May mount to the head) bracket which mounts to the pump. The alternator bracket I have and everything I see is for the other SM Ford water pump which goes in the opposite direction.

So my question is which Ford models did a driver side lower radiator hose inlet be used on?

QUOTE]

Most of 'em - call it a '73 ('70 - '78 actually) and you'll be golden. Suggest that you take a look at a Stewart's pump. It has a big bearing. You do have to have the correct timing cover housing though - each pump and cover are unique.

http://www.stewartcomponents.net/Me...ROD&Product_Code=16113&Category_Code=FordSTG1

In a '57 you should have plenty of room to mount the alternator on the right head s/b 2 holes - with a long 7/16 Gr 8 bolt and a spacer - along with an adjuster bolted to the pump. I did that sucessfully on my last car. Might want a second bracket arm as well for peace of mind. :thumbup:

Dave

·
Troll Hunter
2,694 Posts
I think you will only find a waterpump with the inlet where you want is from a 289/302. In '69 when it was introduced it had one on the opposite side as the earlier 289/302 ans I'm not sure if they ever made one the other way. I am headed out to the shop currently and if I have my info wrong, someone will correct me :D or I will correct it at lunchtime.

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
woodz428 said:
I think you will only find a waterpump with the inlet where you want is from a 289/302. In '69 when it was introduced it had one on the opposite side as the earlier 289/302 ans I'm not sure if they ever made one the other way. I am headed out to the shop currently and if I have my info wrong, someone will correct me :D or I will correct it at lunchtime.
I have been 'intimate' lately with a '72, a '73 and a '76 351W and all had the driver's side water pump pickup. It was a standard SBF item thru that time period and the timing cover and its' attachments (water and fuel pumps) are one of the few totally interchangeable parts between the 221-302 and 351. :thumbup:

Dave

·
Troll Hunter
2,694 Posts
That's why I posted that. My recollection, which I verified in the shop, is that the earlier ones had it on the passenger side and when the 69 351W came out it was on the driver's side. I think all of them (302s and 351s) after that were on the driver's side. But his post suggested that he had an engine and the inlet was on the passenger side, so I posted what I knew about the change over... I just couldn't remember which way it was. If he has one on the passenger side on it now, I would have to wonder if it is a 351W or if someone has used an earlier pump on it. I looked at several 351s and 302s when I was in the shop and would venture that when they changed over(1969 the Boss 302 and 351W had the driver's side inlet) that they all were changed. Is there a pump on the engine or were you thinking the inlet was on the passenger side??

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for your responses and...

First, thank you all for responding.

On the '57, the lower radiator hose connection is on the driver side. For the 351W (that was just rebuilt and painted including the water pump) the water pump connection is towards the driver side. I obviously did that on purpose simplyfying the plumbing connection.

My current issue is mounting the alternator. As mentioned above regarding "peace of mind" I agree and want that bracket. I have to believe there is a top bracket for the long bolt and spacer for added support. That bracket is what I'm looking to find.

thx, r

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Since the 351W timing cover is the same as the 289/302 there is a time when using a passenger connection is best. That would be in the '64-'66 Mustangs where someone could easily (and do) put a 351W. For my '66 Mustang (w/ a 302) I have to make sure I get the correct pump. In fact replacing the water pump years ago on the Mustang is when I became aware of the two options.

My issues above are regarding the '57 Ranchero project currently in the final stages. The '57 is a driver side driver side connection.

While I'm here on a similar topic, does the '70s power steering pump mount on the heads or partially on the water pump? I need to get one of these also. (Like I said earlier no more short blocks; I'm getting the enchilada next time)

Thx again, r

·
Troll Hunter
2,694 Posts
RAW said:
While I'm here on a similar topic, does the '70s power steering pump mount on the heads or partially on the water pump? I need to get one of these also. (Like I said earlier no more short blocks; I'm getting the enchilada next time)

Thx again, r
Typically the pump mounts on the long pivot bolt that runs back to the head. There is also a bracket that attaches to the water pump that is another support and has the adjusting bolt/slot in it. So it does both, attach to the head and waterpump housing. The 302 and 351W used a lot of the same components since they used the same front assembly, but because the 351 is about 1 1/4" taller they used a bracket that located the threads for the pivot bolt. It it was attached to the 2 holes on either side of the core plug and located the threads about midway between the 2 holes in the head.Some of the Mustang supply places offer an aftermarket piece to accomplish the same thing. But it is easy enough to make with some steel plate bolted to the head and locating where you want the threaded hole and drill and tap it. If you install the bracket on the waterpump first and mount the powersteering pump you can use a transfer punch through the pivot hole of the pump to locate where you need to drill. You can then remove it,drill it in a drill press and tap the hole.
Oh and great find there, the only early Rancheros I've found around here that are any good(not returning to the soil) are the '59, not nearly as attractive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts